cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on hub

ChristineS11
Joining in

The light on my Virgin media hub is a solid red light. Wi-Fi is still working. 

6 REPLIES 6

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ChristineS11 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Please see the below help steps to try;

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location and out of direct sunlight, if possible. 
• Switch the hub back on at the power. The Hub should now operate normally.

Let me know if still a red light after this.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for replying John, we did this and the light is still red.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ChristineS11,

Thank you for coming back to us. Sorry to hear that these steps did not resolve the issue for you. I'll be more than happy to look into this further for you and arrange for a technician appointment to look into this. 

A red light on the Hub can mean that there's an internal error, or that the Hub is overheating. If your Hub is warm to the touch or smells like burning, please unplug your Hub as this could be a potential fire hazard.

I'll send you a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, this may be relevant, I also have a solid red light on the Hub 3 I received today, I have it in modem mode though, but from what I have read it is supposed to be purple in this mode, although it appears to working OK with my external router as far as I can see. When it was first setting up however, with it still in router mode, the light was solid amber/orange, instead of the white it was supposed to be. It switched to red once I set it in modem mode. Puzzled by the orange light I did a google and found a huge "orange light" thread on this forum, no not open to replies now unfortunately.

Now I know that for LED's to generate different colours they actually do it by having separate red, green and blue LED's in a row inside the box, which mix to show the required colour. I know that white light comes from mixing red, green and blue all at the same time, and yellow comes from mixing red and green only, and purple comes from mixing red and blue. So, since my modem mode light is red, does this mean the blue led in the block of R/G/B is not working? As this would also explain why the colour was yellow when it should have been white, as it would only be mixing red and green giving yellow. So I am wondering if this was the issue in that huge orange led thread.

Maybe if the ChristineS11 sees yellow when booting up when it should be white, then maybe the blue led has gone like it appears to have done in mine.

Virgin Media, do I need to create a separate thread to report my non-purple led issue?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ChristineS11,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your red light issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ChristineS11,

Glad to hear that you're happy with the appointment time and date. 

Please keep us updated on how you get on and if you need any further help or assistance going forward.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team