cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on hub 3

billy149uk
Tuning in

I have had a red light on my hub 3 for over 2 weeks now.It is not overheating and has been on a floating shelf since it was first installed.Last week my iPhone kept dropping WiFi,not sure if it was a fault with the iPhone or hub.While on the phone to virgin the automated call said there was a problem and they had to restart my hub to resolve it but after restarting it’s still showing a red light.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Virgin engineer replaced my hub 3 earlier today,as lotharmat had said hub thought it was overheating and needed replacing.Thanks to everyone for their help.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

lotharmat
Community elder
If you are in router mode as opposed to modem mode - the hub needs to be replaced as it is a health and safety issue.

It *thinks* it is overheating - this could lead to it dropping connections to keep itself cool and not 'do too much work'

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

It is in router mode,how do I get a replacement then as I always end up with a bot and they don’t seem to understand.

Personally - I'd wait it out on here! - Forum staff are pretty great but it can take a day or so!

Customer services will try and sell you a faster package to make it work - this is nonsense but doesn't seem to stop them...

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks for your advice,I will wait and see then.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @billy149uk

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to private message you now to collect a few more details, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Virgin engineer replaced my hub 3 earlier today,as lotharmat had said hub thought it was overheating and needed replacing.Thanks to everyone for their help.

pretorek
Tuning in

Hello,

I have similar issue with my router, is just constantly showing just red light. Connection is dropping, WIFI seems to be disable, only connection m

by cable works sometimes. 

Hi @pretorek,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear this. A red light on the hub usually indicates it is overheating. 

Can you confirm if you are in router or modem mode?

Is the hub hot to touch? If so, we would advise turning off the router to let it cool down and ensure it is out in the open and well ventilated. 

May also be worth carrying out a factory reset. If the red light indicator is still on after this, let us know and we will arrange for a technician to come out and get this replaced for you. 

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello, router isn't hot, red light shows all the time, even after few hours of being off. It is in router mode. I have it 5 years staying in the same place and never experienced problem like that. Factory reset obviously  didn't change a thing