cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light, no wifi | SH3 | modem mode

spudjones
Tuning in

Hey folks,

My super hub 3 is dealing with a red light and no WiFi. Looking up online this appears to be an overheating issue, although the router feels a little warm. It’s standing up in a well-ventilated place. I have it set to modem mode as I’m using another router, with no issues for months.

Here’s what I’ve tried to do so far:

• Turned off until it was stone cold, same result.
  • Reset with pin method, same result.
  • Service status on VM site all green.
  • Service status phone number reports no faults (although there was one a few days ago)

I always have a BQM running which has been completely red for the last two days. Perhaps it’s an unreported fault in our area?

CFC92B21-3F2F-477C-9C70-FCA204DBFC1D.jpeg

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cf60de7029fe44b85ca45ee2f6cea52b17e2171e

Will try calling support in the AM, but feel I’ll get a better response here.

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your title says "Modem Mode". Is your Hub3 in modem mode - if so the light is meant to be "magenta" which looks red in some lighting. If you put it into normal router mode - what colour does the light change to?

Also your BQM is a wall of red - if you are in modem mode you need to change a setting on your router for it to Accept ICMP echo requests (pings) - or you have put the wrong i.p address in the BQM settings. The i.p. address changes between the two modes on the Hub

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

and folling your title if you are in modem mode you will have no wifi - you say you reset the hub that should reset it to router mode but only if the reset worked - needs a good 30 sec some say up to a minute on the reset switch

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hey John,

I’m aware of the colour being magenta when in modem mode, it’s definitely still red.

I’m still getting red when I’m router mode but looks like the WiFi and internet has suddenly started to work.

I have the correct settings on my router it was fine the other day. But looks like the graph is showing some normalcy now. Very strange.

UPDATE: Not sure if it’s just impeccable timing, but everything seems to be working. Looks like the reset and a 30 min wait seemed to do the trick. Feel free to close.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @spudjones,

Thanks for dropping by with an update - glad this has been resolved.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is the Hub light still red whn its in normal router mode?

If so thats a possible overheating mode that VM need to look at.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.