cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Light, No connection when in modem mode.

leedawson
Joining in

I was using hub 3 in modem mode when I went to add a access point to my network, put while doing this, my internet dropped out. Upon checking the hub 3 the light was red. I rang support. The support agent tested the line and rebooted the hub 3. But it still red lighted. The support person told  me that it looks like my hub needs replacing. After waiting for a call back for an engineer to come out. I thought I’d try a few things

i reset the router and the connection came back and solid green light.

I then tried to put the hub back into modem mode. But again my internet went down and red light appeared.

So again I reset the hub 3 and connection came back.

I just can’t see why turning router into modem mode breaks the router.

now a week later still no one has rang me back. 

2 REPLIES 2

g0akc
Problem sorter

The light is meant to be 'red' (well, magenta) when the hub is in modem mode.

Does the hub work okay in router mode - devices can connect to the internet through it?

What kit do you have connected to the hub - as part of your network?

Has that equipment acquired a public (WAN side) IP address?  What state is it in? Have you tried resetting it?  Check the configuration it sounds like adding the extra bit of kit upset the router or whatever it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @leedawson 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your internet connection when you move into modem mode. 

Do you have our router connected into 3rd party router or do you have it wired straight into a device? We would need you to remove any third party equipment to complete our checks. 

Please do keep us updated with how you also get on with the advise and steps @g0akc has very kindly offered. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley