Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Light - Hub 3

Jamie9250
Tuning in

Hi,

I am having issues with my modem constantly showing a red light

I have turned it off left it for 5 minutes and rebooted. I've tried a reset via the button on the back. And still nothing.

The WIFI it's self is working. But the modem is hot I'd say.

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jamie9250,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that your Hub is showing a Red light and is hot to the touch!

The Red light means that the Hub is overheating. As you've stated that it is hot to the touch, we would advise you unplug the Hub from the mains as it may be a fire Hazard. 

In order to have this rectified and to arrange a technician appointment, I will send you a Private Message. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

Straight6Petrol
Dialled in

As per VM:

Red power light is on

This means the Hub is too hot. Place it out in the open with its vents uncovered, upright, and away from heat sources.

Is the hub out in the open and not anywhere with it's vents blocked?

I'll let others pick this one up as I haven't owned a hub 3...

Yes that's correct. It's standing up right. Completely clear from any other object.

Nothing blocking the vents and it's out of direct sunlight.

Thanks for the response. 👍👍

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jamie9250,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that your Hub is showing a Red light and is hot to the touch!

The Red light means that the Hub is overheating. As you've stated that it is hot to the touch, we would advise you unplug the Hub from the mains as it may be a fire Hazard. 

In order to have this rectified and to arrange a technician appointment, I will send you a Private Message. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jamie9250,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your Red Light issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.
Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jamie9250,

Thank you for coming back to me and I'm glad that you're happy with the appointment time and date. 

Please keep the thread updated with how your appointment goes if you can. 🙂

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

I will. Thanks for the support. 😊

Ghastous
On our wavelength

Im having the same issue since upgrading to the hub 3.  This is the worst router i have ever used and for a router to overheat aswell just shows how cheap and nasty it is.

Sorry VM but making a router that overheats becuase you are lazy to get decent tech is beyond me and i shall be making a phone call to request the hub 4 because least that 1 as a fan.

Ghastous
On our wavelength

Just got off the phone with VM and i was told cant have hub 4 cos it doesnt support 500mb/s lol what kinda BS is that if it can support a gig yes it can support 500mb.

Only reason we get hub 3 is cos they know its completly trash to force us to move onto 1gb and pay more money.  Tyical bs with VM yet again.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ghastous, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your Hub. 

To confirm, do you have the Hub 3 and is it over heating? The signs for this are a red light on the equipment, loud/different noises or the equipment is hot to touch 

Let us know and we will be able to assist further. 

Thanks,

Nat