cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for router to work with Virgin Hub in modem mode?

itm
Tuning in

I've been using an Asus RT0AC68U router with my Virgin hub in modem mode, but the router has been playing up so I'd like to replace it. Can anyone recommend a router which is easy to set up with the Virgin hub (in modem mode), and which has a facility for a separate guest network (which provides internet access but no LAN access)?

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I hope you're sure that the RT86U is faulty before replacing it - routers in general are one of the most reliable pieces of kit you'll ever buy, and whilst it could have had it, connectivity problems are far more likely to be down to the broadband connection.  And even if it seems to be the Asus, worth seeing if you have another compatible PSU, because it could just be that.

Z92
Trouble shooter

I only ever had a problem with an Asus router once, and after a power cycle it was quickly fixed.

What is the problem you are having?

My router (and everything else) was was unplugged for a few hours yesterday. When I reconnected it, I started having the following problems:
- No devices (e.g. laptops and Android devices) are able to connect to wireless on the Asus (on 2.4 and 5GHz bands). On Windows 10 I get "Can't connect to this network". On Android devices it attempts to connect for a few seconds then stops trying.
- Laptops and PC's connected either wired or wirelessly (via my BT Whole Home Wifi mesh network or a TP-Link 24-port switch - see below) are unable to see some of the other devices on the LAN. Sometimes a ping will work once or twice, but nothing after that. Some devices can see each other, some not.
- Some wired devices (e.g. Ubuntu machines) can ping the Asus router, but the Asus router can't ping those devices back. These are wired via the TP-Link switch.
- Most, but not all devices previously connected to my BT Whole Home Wifi mesh network have one of the following problems:
- Unable to obtain an IP address (the Asus router is the sole DHCP server on the LAN)
- Able to connect, but with no internet access.

The Asus router uplinks to a TP-Link TL-SG2424 switch, which most of the wired devices on the LAN are connected to. The only devices connected directly to the Asus router are:
- Virgin media hub
- BT Whole Home wifi disc
- Uplink to TP-Link SG2424.

I have tried powering down the router several times (and also the TP-Link switch). I haven't changed any of the config on the router - just unplugged it for a few hours. The only thing I can think of is that, a few weeks ago we had a lightning strike which damaged some devices (e.g. I lost a TV). After the strike I lost the use of one of the LAN ports on the Asus router (but apart from that it seemed to be working fine). Could it be that I'm seeing long-terms effects of this?

There could of course be problems with the TP-Link switch, but the inability of devices to connect to the Asus wireless makes me think that the problem lies with the Asus. I've also tried a test with a different, 12-port TP-Link switch. I connected the Asus router plus one other device to it. The Asus router could not see that device.
I'm running AsusWRT-Merlin 384.19.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well as a start I'd get rid of Merlin and re-flash to stock, plug as much as possible directly into the Asus (no switches), reboot everything and see what happens. 

If it's still a problem, then yes, maybe the lightning strike has killed it.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Thanks for the recommendation. I managed to pick up a second hand Netgear R7800 and it automatically detected the Virgin Hub (in modem) mode, and was up and running in minutes.

All network issues are now resolved (for now!)

Thanks for your post and updates, itm. Glad to hear you have been able to set up your router within minutes.

Cheers,

Corey C