cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Wifi Update Hub 3 Feb. 2021

ZimboKraut
Tuning in

Does anyone know about the recent "Wifi Update" of the Hub 3?
Today I received an email telling me that my Hub 3 has been updated.
Unfortuantely it only contains the usual marketing garbledigook.
This unfortunately is very suspiciously worded.
I suspect, that VM may be "pulling data"
It doesn't matter to me that much, as I only use it in hub mode and have an additional firewall before any traffic can reach my network.
But it would bug me if they did try.
The moment someone tell me "you get a free new update that talks to all your devices and checks them" I get terribly suspicious.
"Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after me" 😉

9 REPLIES 9

nbharakhada
Joining in

I got this email too... Wondering....

paul_taylor
Up to speed

I just got this email too.

Router is in Modem mode anyway, so kinda irrelevant for me.

Logs do not indicate any firmware change.

Hub3 on Modem mode. PFsense router, and Ubiquiti UniFi AP's with controller. Pi-Hole DNS.

WEll, I suspect, that they can't access it in ModemMode as most multimode devices deactive TR-064 in modem mode.
never the less, I would like to be informed, BEFORE changes like this are enacted.
Maybe it's just my "corporate attitude" as I have been an IS and securoty consultant for the past 25 years.
Never the less, I do believe it would be good practice even in a consumer environment.

It is a shame though, that they don't allow any other cable devices on their network, as my router has a far superior cable modem in it, but sadly VM does not allow.

Yup, the email told me nothing about what had actually changed. So even if I got it before the change, it actually would not have helped me.

I don't use a separate router, and I was hoping that the hub now would select a more sensible WiFi channel. But no - the 2.4 GHz channel is still resolutely stuck on the same one as my neighbour's, which is about the same strength as mine, while all other channels are less congested. Perhaps I need to reboot the hub?

A reboot often helps.
many of there devices are configure only to update the firmware on a reboot.
it basically makes a request on starting up.
so there is a good chance this might happen 😉

spudms
Joining in

Yeah I got the email aswell and for most of the day the WiFi has been terrible. So looks like they have messed something up rather than improve anything.

cje85
Trouble shooter

The firmware was rolled out a few weeks ago even though the email was only sent today.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They have just added more code to the hubs to support the new “plume” WiFi pods. Probably it will affect everyone who is in router mode, as the hub already struggles due to it having a low powered CPU. Most, but not all, of the regular posters run in modem mode so we should be ok, although I have seen reports of latency increasing. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

In recent days and weeks the connectivetyhas been rather poor.
Even though I have a 512MBps connection I frequently have issues  even with the simplest of connections.
I have been monitoring the connection for quite some time.
And considering that I have only been pingin the next hop from my connection, the graph (using SmokePing)

Screenshot 2021-02-27 183251.jpg

personally I think this looks rather mixed....