cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really bad Wifi (high packetloss and weak signal in room)

revrevin
Joining in

My problems started since the last week of may, When i am on the computer, whether im playing a game or surfing the internet, i get really poor wifi, In games i get around 20-65% packet loss all the time which makes the computer remain unplayable. I did a Command where it showed the packet loss from the computer, however it came with 0% packetloss which i think is wrong. Usually it took a second to load up websites, now it takes more than 30 seconds. This is unacceptable as im paying money for a wifi service that is equivalent to my mobile data. We were given a signal booster to fix the dead spots in the house, though this acctually made the wifi worse and we were told to pay extra. This needs to be fixed as i cannot go on any more of this stress

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
see this
_______

Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I dont have any devices connected on ethernet cables, just wireless wifi. My hub model is 4, i dont think its hub related as we got a replacement farely recent, more of the weak signal. I did a diagnositc check on the Myhub website, it said that this device (the PC) has weak signal. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - assuming the ethernet connectivity will be fine and your issue is just wifi (This may not be correct), see this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi revrevin, 

Thanks for your post,. Apologies to hear about the poor connection.

As the diagnostics came back as weak signal on your Pc., I can look at sending out a 2nd pod for you.

I will send you a private message to get the ball rolling.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L