Up to speed

So when do i get a hub upgrade?

I have hub 3 which has problems.

Never been offered 4 or 5 upgrade why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest depends on what the issue is that your facing. When I had the M500 package. I had Hub 3.after couple of months Hub 3 was causing issues which was that it went into Modem mode automatically without Entering the physical settings.in my case Engineers did replace the hub many times but couldn’t fix the issue. So  the engineer who came to the property said he would upgrade to hub 4. Everything was fine then I had upgraded my Broadband package to Gig1. My Hub 4 was not giving any WiFi or Ethernet connections recently. So as soon as the Engineer came I just said to upgrade to hub 5. He said he didn’t have any in his van eventually there was another technician in the area who had brand new hub 5s on him so the technician set up the Hub 5 making sure there are no issues and so that Landlines work. If you do have an engineer visit booked just request them to upgrade your hub because you have had simultaneous hubs replaced(if applicable) and you require a hub 4 or hub 5 to be installed to get the maximum coverage of your service. That’s what I had to say to the engineer. He was more then willing to upgrade.but yeah just confirm your issue with virgin media and say your fed up with the hub and you require a hub 4 to be sent out. If they say they can’t then get an engineer booked and see to what they can do.but need to get into depth regarding your broadband issue.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have a problem with your current Hub, report the fault and Virgin Media will investigate and correct the issue. You will get a Hub3 more than likely if your Hub proves faulty.

Hub4 is for high speed broadband customers and Hub5 is not generally available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Shocked to say the least.
What do you class high speed broadband customers?
Is 350 not high enough?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@BMWCHUBB wrote:

Shocked to say the least.
What do you class high speed broadband customers?
Is 350 not high enough?

What do you think a Hub 4 or 5 will do for you that a (working) Hub 3 can't?

What is the fault with your Hub 3?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest depends on what the issue is that your facing. When I had the M500 package. I had Hub 3.after couple of months Hub 3 was causing issues which was that it went into Modem mode automatically without Entering the physical settings.in my case Engineers did replace the hub many times but couldn’t fix the issue. So  the engineer who came to the property said he would upgrade to hub 4. Everything was fine then I had upgraded my Broadband package to Gig1. My Hub 4 was not giving any WiFi or Ethernet connections recently. So as soon as the Engineer came I just said to upgrade to hub 5. He said he didn’t have any in his van eventually there was another technician in the area who had brand new hub 5s on him so the technician set up the Hub 5 making sure there are no issues and so that Landlines work. If you do have an engineer visit booked just request them to upgrade your hub because you have had simultaneous hubs replaced(if applicable) and you require a hub 4 or hub 5 to be installed to get the maximum coverage of your service. That’s what I had to say to the engineer. He was more then willing to upgrade.but yeah just confirm your issue with virgin media and say your fed up with the hub and you require a hub 4 to be sent out. If they say they can’t then get an engineer booked and see to what they can do.but need to get into depth regarding your broadband issue.

What do you think a Hub 4 or 5 will do for you that a (working) Hub 3 can't?
Ask that to people that use 4 or 5.
Hub 3 overheats and intermittently restarts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hub 4 and hub 5 have a fan to cool it down so it doesn’t overheat. Same applies to hub 3. If your hub is constantly doing that ask them to send an engineer out to swap the hub or ask them to send the hub 4 out as stated. Your issue should be fixed and service will be better then expected. One quick question was this the hub you had received when contract started or was this a replacement to a previous one you had.

Hub 3 is supplied 50-600Mbps, Hub 4 is 1gig and hub 5 is on trials

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hub 4 is not only for Gig1.I have friends who don’t have the gig1 and have hub 4. I had hub 4 on the 500mbps package. Mid term contract. Hub 3 are gradually getting obsolete and hub 4 will slowly start to take over.with hub 5 being for the high end packages.I totally respect your opinions and point of view. 

The hub 4 NEEDS the cooling fan as its part of the design. (They basically sandwiched two pcbs together.)

There are many reports of the hub4 overheating during last summer as it tiny anaemic fan cant cope.

It also has to be on a hard surface as a carpet will block the intake.

Many people including myself HAD to add a usb fan to it to stop it form cutting out in warm weather..

You will also have to dust the bottom of it as the grill blocks up with dust very easily.

Oh and the stupid light bar thing on it tells you nothing, at least on the hub3 you had function lights.

Oh and the WIFI standard is exactly the same as the hub 3. 

And it's UI full of bugs they never fixed.

That sound better to you?