Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 11 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix problems

Thank you for your response. In the end I doubt it's related to the browser itself. Turns out that some people can use netflix even on chrome while others can't. Someone received a message from netflix blaming virgin media's dns servers but google's apparently have the same issue. Will try to update this thread if I can get more information on the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 24
Flag for a moderator

My router (and so all my devices) are configured to use cloudflare’s DNS rather than Virgin’s DNS. I did try changing to Google and OpenDNS but that didn’t help either. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 13 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I am too having this issue. All mobile devices, Xbox one and laptop are unable to play Netflix. Infact the Xbox one won’t even load Netflix. 

Mobile data is able to play Netflix on every device. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I’m also having the same issue with Netflix, noticed it yesterday evening but still ongoing today. All other streaming apps - e.g. IPlayer - were working okay and the network speed looked healthy when I tested it. Spoke to Netflix customer service and they said that they had received multiple calls from Virgin customers with problems so it def looks like a problem at Virgin Media’s end.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Same problem with me, the response from Virgin customer services on the phone - "there's no issue at Virgin, we don't block websites, try rebooting your computer, phone netflix".

If they would just accept that there's an issue and the folk on the phone said "yes, there's a problem, sorry, we're working on a solution and hope to have it fixed within xx hours" I'd be happy.

Instead I'm now grumpy! Thanks Virgin!

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I had exactly the same response. They had no idea that there were any issues, suggested it was to do with Netflix, and became a bit defensive when I suggested I give them the reference code above to check what was happening. The frontline customer service team badly need to be kept up to date with current service issues - customers should not know more about the problems than they do!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here. In another similar thread, a moderator has confirmed that this has been logged as a fault and is undergoing investigation (don't hold your breath - how long did the Puma chip issue take to get a fix?)

Interestingly, I am able to stream Netflix from their website using Chrome and a wired connection so this does seem to be a WiFi issue.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 18 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't be so sure that Virgin Media is at fault. All traceroutes so far point out to some nodes in Seattle, Washington being the issue. As Virgin Media have no power over the internet there, it would be unwise to straight up blame them before getting more information first.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I have run a traceroute via 4G and it still goes to the same block of IPs, yet it is able to connect without issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I would be so sure.

Major video sites such as Netflix rely on content delivery networks (CDNs) to distribute content. When you watch a Netflix show or a YouTube video etc you aren’t pulling the data from a server in San Francisco. 

In fact, it’s being served from a server behind your ISP’s own connection to the wider Internet. 

The situation, most likely, is that there is some issue with one or more of VM’s nodes on the CDN Netflix is using. 

I have seen this before. There was some trouble with YouTube last year which I was able to trace back to one specific server behind a VM owned IP address. It’s simply how the Internet works these days, without CDNs services like Netflix wouldn’t be able to cope.

0 Kudos