cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot update Android apps via Virgin wifi

jchang
Joining in

Hi

I am having the same problem with the HUB 3, google play store apps will not update or will start to download but will get stuck with a few % left. Have tried trouble shooting with the standard methods - turning wifi off, hard resetting the hub and also the suggestion on this thread by placing our HUB 3 into modem mode but that didn't do anything either. Any help will be much appreciated 🙂 Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8

lotharmat
Community elder
You need to start your own thread - that way VM Staff can keep on top of issues!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JChang, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your WIFI services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. I've already had a look at your services on my side and can see that you have a couple of issues emanating from your in home WIFI connections. 

I can see that some devices may be on the wrong WIFI band for their usage, which can be causing congestion for the WIFI signal. 

We have two WIFI channels on your services, 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz, both of these channels are used for different kinds of devices which I'll explain below - 

• 2.4GHZ - This is a channel that is best suited for mobiles, tablets and other small devices. It doesn't have as much capacity but it can reach to further places within the home.
  • 5.0GHZ - A channel that has high usage capacity for those devices that need a lot of bandwidth like PC's, Consoles, Laptops etc. However, although it's got better capacity it has a smaller signal radius - WIFI pods can help boost this signal around the home though! 

If you could please pop onto this link - Changing WIFI Channels - It will walk you through how to change a device's WIFI channel. Remember - mobiles and tablets should be on the 2.4GHZ channel 😉 

You can also use the Connect App to do a scan of the household to see if you have any WIFI black spots that could be causing the low signal issue. Please have a go at this and let us know what you find out!

Just for future issues with the WIFI and for any other users that are looking at this thread for WIFI help, I have a few links below that might help with general issues - 

• Our Service Checker is a good tool to use to check if there are any area outages ongoing with Broadband, TV, Landline and Mobile. It usually lets you know what is wrong and how long it's going to take for the engineers to fix (estimated time of course)
  • Your Online Account also has a good tool which helps diagnose a fault within your home network with your Broadband, TV and Landline, it will tell you what's up and what to do next. 
  • We also have a good section for faults on our website here - Help Website - it will give you flows for diagnosing and rectifying faults on a multitude of aspects. A really good link to bookmark!

Please let me know if there is any improvement with your WIFI signal after playing around with the WIFI channels and also if you find any black spots with the Connect App!

Thanks,

Megan_L

CatMario
On our wavelength

Moderator this really looks like a copy and paste response and you haven't even read or digested what the poster is having an issue with. 

Spoiler

@Megan_L wrote:

Hi JChang, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your WIFI services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. I've already had a look at your services on my side and can see that you have a couple of issues emanating from your in home WIFI connections. 

I can see that some devices may be on the wrong WIFI band for their usage, which can be causing congestion for the WIFI signal. 

We have two WIFI channels on your services, 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz, both of these channels are used for different kinds of devices which I'll explain below - 

• 2.4GHZ - This is a channel that is best suited for mobiles, tablets and other small devices. It doesn't have as much capacity but it can reach to further places within the home.
  • 5.0GHZ - A channel that has high usage capacity for those devices that need a lot of bandwidth like PC's, Consoles, Laptops etc. However, although it's got better capacity it has a smaller signal radius - WIFI pods can help boost this signal around the home though! 

If you could please pop onto this link - Changing WIFI Channels - It will walk you through how to change a device's WIFI channel. Remember - mobiles and tablets should be on the 2.4GHZ channel 😉 

You can also use the Connect App to do a scan of the household to see if you have any WIFI black spots that could be causing the low signal issue. Please have a go at this and let us know what you find out!

Just for future issues with the WIFI and for any other users that are looking at this thread for WIFI help, I have a few links below that might help with general issues - 

• Our Service Checker is a good tool to use to check if there are any area outages ongoing with Broadband, TV, Landline and Mobile. It usually lets you know what is wrong and how long it's going to take for the engineers to fix (estimated time of course)
  • Your Online Account also has a good tool which helps diagnose a fault within your home network with your Broadband, TV and Landline, it will tell you what's up and what to do next. 
  • We also have a good section for faults on our website here - Help Website - it will give you flows for diagnosing and rectifying faults on a multitude of aspects. A really good link to bookmark!

Please let me know if there is any improvement with your WIFI signal after playing around with the WIFI channels and also if you find any black spots with the Connect App!

Thanks,

Megan_L

I've followed the link for changing the WiFi channels and the person in the VM video does not recommend manually changing channels but to turn on/off the hub instead. I have already tried this and nothing happens. 

As mentioned in previous posts, the issue is do with the IP address, it has temporarily been resolved with a replacement router. I'm hoping this will resolve my issue too! However, I don't want to keep changing routers if this is the only solution!! 

sophist
Trouble shooter

@jchang wrote:
Spoiler

As mentioned in previous posts, the issue is do with the IP address, it has temporarily been resolved with a replacement router. I'm hoping this will resolve my issue too! However, I don't want to keep changing routers if this is the only solution!! 

that shouldn't be necessary... depending on what router you've put in - you may find that it has a feature called "MAC cloning" or "MAC spoofing" on the WAN configuration page.. if it happens again, just clone the MAC address from your PC to the WAN interface on the router and it'll force an IP address change.

CatMario
On our wavelength

This is why this will never get solved, Tech Support will go through their troubleshooting and issue will get fixed by swapping the modem. This really needs an escalation to 3rd line to trace the IP traffic of those having issues and see where this is falling. Services shouldn't just stop working because you have been allocated a new IP. 

Fed up, having just updated this evening's 8 apps over 4G, because Play doesn't like my sticky broadband, I thought I'd revisit the topic for a possible solution.. Nothing.. & still can't get any joy on any of Virgin 'HELP' platforms either.. 

Just to add - some of the usual streaming platforms dislike the spluttering flow, too.. but especially, ironically.. Virgin GO going GONE itself....

I'll be going the same way at this rate - fed up with it, frankly.. 

Hi PandPinc, 

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Really disappointed to hear that you're still having an ongoing issue with our internet services, and especially the TVGO app.

We appreciate you have posted about this issue before, and the advice given from our valued members and agents has not resolved the issue.

Due to this I am going to flag this with our 2nd line faults team so we can look in to this further for you.

So I can do this I will need to take some details from you.

I will pop you over a private message, please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi.