cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Best Mesh 1gig With Super Hub 4

Gpellowe
Tuning in

do you know of an idiots guide to tri band mesh router hub stuff for Virgin hub 3, I am in the process of trying to get the hub 4 as mines years old and has a permanent red light which virgin say is normal. We too have multiple wifi devices and currently use 2gm powerlines which are limited unbeknown to me on purchase. my son uses his PC as a hotspot as he said the wifi is [REMOVED]. VM engineer told me about mesh last year though there's routers/mesh systems/ wifi extenders and so many I have no idea where to start and don't want to waste more money on something thats useless. I am good at figuring stuff out for a 50 year old woman, but prefer to have done the research first then I will install it all. Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks Gaynor

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly - I will ask VM to look again at the red light issue.

My son is an avid gamer and he uses a pair of good quality powerline adapters to connect his PC/consoles to my router (Hub in modem mode). Tech was right - they do attenuate speeds but it may not matter - he gets a stable ~50Mbps connection on our 200 package and his gaming is spot on. However he has the powerlines connected via Cat6 ethernet cables to the Router and to his devices. Is your lad trying that way - if not - have a go it may be sufficient.

If still no good then you have a few options. Best would be to run an ethernet cable from the Hub up to his room and add a network switch for ethernet connecting all his kit - and/or a good wireless access point - that would deliver "full speed" wifi in there (and provide additional ethernet ports).

If cable running is problematic (think outside the box though - run it outside?) then a Mesh system would be the obvious solution. depending on what "knobs & whistles" you want - a good introductory system can be had for ~£100 - look at TP-Link Deco S4/M4/M5 3-packs. Spend more for a Rolls Royce system with Tri-band and wifi-6 speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I have moved the post so its starting a new thread.

Do you currently have the Hub3? Is it in modem mode with you using your own router ? If it is then the light would be "magenta" - a purply red - so that's OK.

If its in normal router mode then the light should be white. It often gets a pinky hue with age though - but - if it is clearly bright red - then that is an indication for an overheating Hub and that needs addressing.

What problems are you having with your current wifi that means you are interested in a a Tri-band Mesh?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your response.  I had an engineer out last year it was red it now looks more purple though is in router mode still.  The engineer said it has overheated though will continue to function the same.  He said that they would not replace it and there was nothing wrong with the hub, (hub3) he said once the light goes red it is permanent.

I have the hub upstairs in my bedroom as it is the front of the house.  My son is at the back of the house and the wifi is poor.  they gave me wifi booster plugs which are useless and just do not work.  I paid for powerlines which work well for me though I was advised by the engineer that they are still limited going through the electric system.  He told me I needed a mesh system.  My son complains the internet is not consistent and sometimes extremely slow.  He said he is going to get a gaming router, I told him this will likely have the same problem as I assume it would attach to the hub in my room.  I have no idea what would be the best option other than him getting his own internet direct to his room 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly - I will ask VM to look again at the red light issue.

My son is an avid gamer and he uses a pair of good quality powerline adapters to connect his PC/consoles to my router (Hub in modem mode). Tech was right - they do attenuate speeds but it may not matter - he gets a stable ~50Mbps connection on our 200 package and his gaming is spot on. However he has the powerlines connected via Cat6 ethernet cables to the Router and to his devices. Is your lad trying that way - if not - have a go it may be sufficient.

If still no good then you have a few options. Best would be to run an ethernet cable from the Hub up to his room and add a network switch for ethernet connecting all his kit - and/or a good wireless access point - that would deliver "full speed" wifi in there (and provide additional ethernet ports).

If cable running is problematic (think outside the box though - run it outside?) then a Mesh system would be the obvious solution. depending on what "knobs & whistles" you want - a good introductory system can be had for ~£100 - look at TP-Link Deco S4/M4/M5 3-packs. Spend more for a Rolls Royce system with Tri-band and wifi-6 speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gpellowe,
Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you have been advised the Router is overheating however was still OK to use, I have had a look at things our end and can see a few issues, so I can arrange a replacement/ Technician I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks for all this information it will really help me consider the best option for us. I might feed a cable as you suggested. I have now ordered the hub 4 so will start afresh with getting it directly linked to sons room, also having access to WiFi downstairs without needing to be dependant on power lines