Menu
opmprime
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

RPBLOCK

Similar to some other posts here about the subject came home to another night without internet service and was greeted with the famous RPBLOCK card. Looking up at the other posts this seem to be a deliberate block on my service (which from my perspective was working) to try to resolve an issue affecting the area.

From what was said by the person I had at home when the card was put through the mailbox no further attempt was made to actually gain access to the property other than the card. The card was dropped and the person was gone

For a bit of context with the previous outages and the estimate time to repair it will be about 5 days without broadband in just about 5 weeks of service. 

So I call VM and was promised an engineer in 2 business days, unhappy with the response I ask to have my contract terminated so I can choose a reliable provider as I'm afraid this will continue for the duration of my contract and I lost confidence they are capable of providing a good service.

They have refused saying this is how it is, just take it (and dont leave). No attempts made to try to reduce the impact, by calling in advance, trying to use the VM Wifi (that suspiciously only seem to work on mobile devices), perform other local diagnostics, or just trying to arrange a quicker response or even compensate me for the inconvenience.

I was also advised that any further effort from my part would just be a waste of time as no one would care (as I was finding out)

Just posting this as it may help someone adjust their expectation...

0 Kudos
carrspaints
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: RPBLOCK

I have had the same issue. Card stuffed through door when we were actually at home. There was a broadband issue in our area which was repaired yesterday apparently. Because I have RPBLOCK, my service is still out. I called Virgin on Tuesday, as the card instructed, and they booked an Engineer to visit Friday (tomorrow). 20 minutes ago, I get a text message saying the visit has been cancelled as the fault has been repaired. But I am RPBLOCKed so unless I have an engineer unblock me, I have no internet.

So I call Virgin explaining all of this and they say that the engineer is still scheduled for tomorrow. I ask why then are they sending me a text message to say it is cancelled? It is like banging your head against a wall with these guys. I've been a Virgin broadband customer since 1998 in the days when I has 512kb. The service has been very reliable for the most part but I wish Virgin would get the right hand to talk to the left, trying to make sense of what they are doing in cases like this is impossible, and calling and having to wait for ages to get through is frustrating.

0 Kudos
carrspaints
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As I guessed, Virgin indeed cancelled the Engineer, despite promising me last night that I had nothing to worry about and he would be here today. I took a day off work waiting for him!!!!

Now Virgin say they can get someone in on Monday or Tuesday. What, so I have to take another day off work? Virgin faults department are a nightmare to deal with. I suspect their help desk is in India or somewhere outside of the UK. There is a complete disconnect between them and reality.

I have spoken with Virgin Customer Services about terminating my contract, it would be so much easier (and cheaper) to just sign up with another ISP. The lady I spoke with said she would call me back, I am not holding my breath.

The problem with Virgin is that you can predict the outcome of a call to their faults department before making it, i.e. you will get the wrong information, or spun some porky, but you will get nowhere fast. They are still telling me there is a fault in my area, yet when I check their faults page, my area is all good, no faults, and my neighbors have zero issues.Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hi both,

If you want to break contract without Virgin bending you over and forcing the rest of the contract money out of you, I would look at the CISAS website, the first thing you'll need is a deadlock letter from Virgin, however I suspect they will be able to potentially get around this if they fix the fault within 8 weeks, but if the fault is occuring now, you need to act now to minimise them managing to hold you to contract, just google CISAS and their website is actually pretty straight forward, this is at no cost to you, and will only cost VM, even if you lose.

carrspaints
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. An update to my previous rants:

After calling VM UK customer services and speaking with a very helpful lady (Sarah), I was told she would speak with her Area Manager to see if they could get someone in before next week and she would call me back. Well, 20-minutes later, VM techs arrived at the door. They identified the issue within minutes (a defective splitter or something in the outside box). They repaired that, installed a new Hub 3.0 & made sure it was all working as it should. Sarah tried calling about 30 minutes after they left, but I missed her call.

We were very impressed with the support from Sarah and especially the two VM guys that came over to fix the issue. Given my previous rants, I now feel really baaaaaad Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Embarassed

I do think there is a big disconnect with the VM broadband support team based in India (I assume a call center) but I got to be candid, the UK team got that we were frustrated and they jumped about to help us. If anyone from Virgin reads this, thanks for the support.

0 Kudos
opmprime
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The engineer came yesterday, got us online for about 20 minutes and told us they would arrange for another cable to be pulled to my house. Now it's another 2 weeks without service. For a cable by now they had multiple opportunities to arrange a repair before, unless the fault was introduced by external factors which I doubt, they either introduced the fault themselves or the fault was already there and they failed to identify it.

To cover the period I've asked to have a 3G router sent over (don't deal with it) helped to assist with the Virgin Media Wifi (don't deal with it only works for mobiles, yeah sure), asked to leave so I could sign up with a decent provider (will charge me)

Now it's at my own cost to go source a 3G plan to avoid running out of data on our mobiles (who needs internet access right?)

Terrible company to deal with, no sympathy, no compensation, no care

0 Kudos
philjohn
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Don't feel bad at all - you were rightly miffed at frankly appalling customer service from Virgin, if anything, you were quite level headed and stuck to facts.

0 Kudos
opmprime
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I was quite surprised to the level of disregard they have for a customer. Had an issue with BT last year as they messed up my order but they offered me a 3g dongle but I was in range of their public wifi which actually worked. They have also gave me a discount on the package which was a fair gesture. Nothing here.......
I guess it's for the best I could not receive their services in the past.
0 Kudos
opmprime
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that's where I'm headed if they don't get it right next time

0 Kudos