cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RED power light hub 3

Jules65
Joining in

My hub 3 has a Red power light. It isn’t covered 

have tried turning it off and leaving it, but comes back on with a red light. 
when I phoned I was told it was ok but reading on here seems that I need an engineer or a new hub as it is a sign of overheating- advise - help pkease

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You shouldn't need a engineer to swap a hub, that's something that can be posted out

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You shouldn't need a engineer to swap a hub, that's something that can be posted out

Trouble is they say it’s fine - do virgin help on here can they sort this? 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Jules65 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your hub. 

Are you able to let me know is the hub currently in modem mode or router mode? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean? @Zak_M

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jules65

To find our if your Hub 3 is in Modem mode or Router mode, Enter 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your browser. Enter the password printed on the bottom of the Hub, you will then be able to see if your Hub is in Modem mode.

If it is, I would suggest selecting the option 'Disable Modem Mode' then selecting 'Apply Changes.'

Then see if this changes the colour of the light on your Hub.

The reason we are asking this, is because a Hub 3 in Modem Mode has a magenta light, which can often be mistaken for red. If you are not in Modem Mode but the light is still red, this could indicate an overheating issue with your Hub.

Best wishes,

Serena

I have had the 'red' light issue for some time now, so I followed the advice given and entered the eight digit settings password which was aparently incorrect, I checked and tried it several times but it was still apparently incorrect. The hub is in a cool room, on its own, and completly open to the air. Any assistance gratefully received.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Jules65 wrote:

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean? @Zak_M

start with the simple method - do you only have the hub and do you use that for wifi - if yes then its not in modem mode - if you have another 3rd party router then the hub should be in modem mode but not all users set it like that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

-tony-

i only have it for WiFi 

am concerned though 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Jules65 wrote:

-tony-

i only have it for WiFi 

am concerned though 

then you are not in modem mode so the red light is saying the hub is too hot - it might be that the indicator circuit is faulty but thats no reason not to change it so lets get VM back to comment

will flag the thread

Tony.
Sacked VIP