cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RED LIGHT ON HUB3, LOWER SNR

Miggle
On our wavelength

Hi VM,

Since before the hot weather we had a red light on HUB3. Had reset it a while ago but didn't know a red light means over heating. We thought you had just changed the colour via an update as nothing in original leaflets about a red light when it was delivered!

The HUB is in a non hot room (even in Summer it gets to about 26 degrees max) with open ventilation around it, its not near radiators or sun through a window.

Anyway, the top of the hub gets warm but not red hot, but the F connector on the back gets hot but not scorching.

ALSO, the SNR has gone down from rock solid (for years) 40db per channel to 33-36 as it now fluctuates. Power levels are a little high but within spec and upstream is fine. I am sure this is to do with area work by Virgin some weeks ago but it is causing issues with buffering of content, wired or wireless. We were on the lowest attenuated tap point in the green cabinet because of length of cable run, and it could also be an engineer has moved us onto another tap point to quick fix another customer. 

The TV service to v6 box is fine though and 42db SNR with no breakup. It's always had a higher SNR than broadband and that's normal as different services.

Judging from the comments read on the forums, it seems that a replacement hub is required. I'm not sure if you can send one out and we send the old one back or a tech visit. A tech visit isn't impossible but more tricky at the moment as going into work.

I can give you details of account number etc via a PM.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Miggle
On our wavelength

red light = overheating. Needs changing. In same boat.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
post up a photo of the light

A VM person will respond shortly

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Miggle, thanks for posting on our help forum.

We're sorry to hear of the red light on your hub 3, we're eager to help with these issues.
So you enable me to help I will send you PM here shortly.
Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. Click this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Miggle
On our wavelength

@jbrennand wrote:
post up a photo of the light

A VM person will respond shortly

Its a solid red light? Why would you need a photo of it? The engineer can see it to know its red?

Miggle
On our wavelength

@Adri_G wrote:

Hi Miggle, thanks for posting on our help forum.

We're sorry to hear of the red light on your hub 3, we're eager to help with these issues.
So you enable me to help I will send you PM here shortly.
Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. Click this and you'll see my message.

Hi Adri_G

I picked up your message 5 hours later but the envelope icon hasn't got any PM to show?

I'll check again later to see if it comes through.

Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Its a solid red light? Why would you need a photo of it? The engineer can see it to know its red?"

Yes a tech will know but.....

The Hub3 light has a mind of its own - largely due to the 1p LED's that were used when built.  It usually fades to one of 50 shades of beige/yellow/orange - which many customer eyes see as red.

Also, by design, the base light turns to "Magenta" ( a kind of reddty/purple) when it is in modem mode - put there either by design of the user or by some strange quirk of the Hub Pixies.

So the reason is to see if it may just be one of those reasons. 

And some posters in the past have taken a chance and said that their Hub light is red -- thinking that that will just get them a Hub swap to a new  Hub3 or even... a newer Hub4/5.  It never does though - they usually just end up with an old refurbished Hub3 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Miggle
On our wavelength

@jbrennand wrote:

"Its a solid red light? Why would you need a photo of it? The engineer can see it to know its red?"

Yes a tech will know but.....

The Hub3 light has a mind of its own - largely due to the 1p LED's that were used when built.  It usually fades to one of 50 shades of beige/yellow/orange - which many customer eyes see as red.

Also, by design, the base light turns to "Magenta" ( a kind of reddty/purple) when it is in modem mode - put there either by design of the user or by some strange quirk of the Hub Pixies.

So the reason is to see if it may just be one of those reasons. 

And some posters in the past have taken a chance and said that their Hub light is red -- thinking that that will just get them a Hub swap to a new  Hub3 or even... a newer Hub4/5.  It never does though - they usually just end up with an old refurbished Hub3 😎

It's definitely red, I am not colour blind as tested.

I don't care if it's a hub3 as long as it's not a fire hazard! The time to argue for a new hub is contract renewal if need be ...

Miggle
On our wavelength

Hi VM,

I still haven't received a private message reply from VM as stated?