cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to change internet service but want to keep my tv

rune1993
Joining in

I put it on this group as dont know what one to put it in Basically i dont like virgin medias internet but i like there tv service i want to change to a different internet provider but i dont know how that will effect my tv service as i dont want to change that since if i do need the internet for my tv service to work i dont want to have to pay for both.

I know someone who has what i plan to switch to she gives it top marks same with all the reviews it also only costs £25 a month with 900 mbps wile my current one gives 250 to 278.97 mbps for higher price a month. I get complaints from my sisters about it cutting out i get lots of buffering from videos and anime i watch witch it never used to do where i watch them.

So i dont know what to do i know i need the cables for my tv to work but virgin internet dont know if so i dont know what to do i want to change internet provider but not my tv service.

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only VM TV service that can work without VM broadband is the legacy TiVo, and that's being actively withdrawn.

V6 (which runs TiVo software), TV360 & Stream boxes need VM broadband to work and will not function without it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-fault/which-tv-box 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Oh that is very annoying basically i cant switch my internet provider so am stuck with a rubbish one if i want my tv still oh nice way to force customers to keep something they dont want.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you have a broadband fault have you reported it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I haven't got a fault or anything its just that i dont like there internet service i watch anime and films i used to get no buffering but all of a sudden mainly on films or tv series i watch online. It buffers every 5 to 10 minuets never used to i left it as i thought it was just a glitch and would go away and all this on a wired connection i get it happening for wireless but wired connection no.

I have said about it to them last time i contacted them they tested my speed i am apparently getting what i am supposed to as said i did get moaning from sister about it cutting off. I had to spend my own money to get a booster witch luckily works so she dont moan anymore. I added a picture of a speed test i did in my room where the box is the ping is bad i m supposed to get 250 mbps.

Anyhow i just want to switch internet provider but not my tv with virgin i like that part if i cant i dont want to pay for both internets ile to ring them see what can be done.

351442394_789667396079359_6847365290494624101_n.jpg

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rune1993 wrote:

Oh that is very annoying basically i cant switch my internet provider so am stuck with a rubbish one if i want my tv still oh nice way to force customers to keep something they dont want.

VM On Demand & support services for their TV boxes run on their own internal network via your local cable headend. The direct coaxial connection is only for the broadcast tuners in the box. Therefore there is no connectivity on the wider internet that another providers hub could access. Even if they could there is no differentiation between the 50 odd cable headends across the country. They all use the same addresses as on VMs network the hub will only see the local headend you are connected too.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

a off topic question to something you said you said coaxial connection coaxial cable is a copper based wiring yet they say there fibre optic i am guessing that it is only fibre optic wiring to the green box and not directly to our homes. I am asking as ive had no new fibre optic wiring installed near or to my home yet i do think i remember them saying my area has fibre optic i probably just make a new post asking.

Since i aint willing to pay for 2 internet providers i will have to figure something ells out mite phone them still to ask.

rune1993
Joining in

Dont know if this question should be on this group but i thought of something virgin media say they are full fibre broadband yet it seems there new fibre optic cables only go to those green street boxes and we get from those boxes coaxial cable to our homes witch are copper based wiring and send the data through electricity as google says not fibre optic to my understanding.

When they set me up at my home there was a little box on the outside wall the put a wire from through a hole into our home and i think set up the wires from the green boxes to that box on the outside. To my knowledge they never upgraded that wiring to my home to fibre optic ive never been told or emailed or even phoned to say about that despite i think them saying my area does have fibre optic full fibre broadband.

I just wonder what is going on about that since as i found out in another post i made i cant change my internet provider without loosing my virgin tv i thought ide ask this and what is going on with that stuff.

There is this update

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rune1993 wrote:

a off topic question to something you said you said coaxial connection coaxial cable is a copper based wiring yet they say there fibre optic i am guessing that it is only fibre optic wiring to the green box and not directly to our homes. I am asking as ive had no new fibre optic wiring installed near or to my home yet i do think i remember them saying my area has fibre optic i probably just make a new post asking.

Since i aint willing to pay for 2 internet providers i will have to figure something ells out mite phone them still to ask.

Fibre optic can be FTTC (Fibre to Cabinet) or FTTH (Fibre to Home). Providers don't differentiate, although the phrase Full Fibre is now generally used for the latter. VM operates two types of network distribution& is trialling a third.

1) HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial). This is the legacy network from the 1990s. Fibre is fed to an optical node, which converts everything to high grade coax. This then drives 20 to 30 slave cabinets downstream covering an area of 500 to 1000 metres. So at maximum you could be 1km away from the fibre cabinet. Not very modern & future proof you might think? These systems have been successfully run with download speeds up to 10Gbps, so they are well able to cope with the 1Gbps VM currently dish out, unlike copper phone cable distribution on Openreach which maxes out at 900Mbps.

2) RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass). On the newer network builds the fibre comes to your front wall, which houses a powered ONT (Optical Network Terminal). This converts everything to copper coax & you use the same kit as those on HFC network in your home.

3) XGS-PON (Passive Optical Network) is the same as BT Openreach uses for Full Fibre connections, & represents a move away from cable (radio based) technology for Virgin,. Currently in only 7 trial areas, but due to be rolled out nationally in the future.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993