cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ps5 WiFi not compatible with Virgin Hub

Callum090
Joining in

I've had my ps5 since launch and ever since every few days or so my connection only on the console would either cut out or go really slow. I would only notice this through extream lag in games or videos not loading in YouTube. Never a notification saying I had been disconnected. Although when I check the network settings when I have the issue it jumps between 'checking' and 'connected'.

I've split the bands to see if that helped but didn't and also factory reset the console. However what makes me believe its not agreeing with the router is that I managed to have no disconnections for about 3 months after I had forgotten the Internet from the ps5 and unplugging power from both the console and router and restarting it. Everything was fine and then one day the router went down for a minute and the day after the issue on the console came back. 

I've tried this technique again but I feel like it's not lasting as long anymore. What would people recommend I do as I believe it's a compatibility issue and not hardware issue with my console hopefully. Also I haven't got option for wired as I'm too far and have tried the boxes but they don't work either. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My lad connects to the router downstairs with a pair of high quality powerline adapters and short ethernet cables into his gaming PC and consoles. They work great for him. As long as your power circuits in the 2 rooms pass through the same fuse box they should be fine

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You could look at getting your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

WiFi can be very susceptible to many external factors. The best thing is to use an Ethernet cable, a lot cheaper than getting your own router.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

The only issue is that my router is in a separate room to the console and I've tried those WiFi extension boxes but didn't work either. And I'm only having the WiFi issue on the console and nothing else. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My lad connects to the router downstairs with a pair of high quality powerline adapters and short ethernet cables into his gaming PC and consoles. They work great for him. As long as your power circuits in the 2 rooms pass through the same fuse box they should be fine

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I see a lot of threads like this on this forum, such and such feature just straight up doesn't work, the solution is alway to buy 3rd party equipment, why are paying customers not putting more pressure on virgin to supply adequate equipment? Since when did it become acceptable to accept a sub par service where we're forced to provide equipment that should be supplied as standard?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@paul9115 wrote:

Since when did it become acceptable to accept a sub par service where we're forced to provide equipment that should be supplied as standard?

NAT as standard? should not be allowed you are paying for broadband a WAN IP to get to the internet, so when did people forget that and say NAT is OK! its not, its down to you.

paul9115
On our wavelength
We're paying for a service, part of that 'service' includes equipment rental. When you change provider, they ask that you return the equipment, this is because you don't own the modem, you rent it. The modem is advertised as a 'smart hub' which clearly isn't that smart if we have to go out and buy a new router to perform basic functionality that isn't supplied with their equipment although it's advertised as a router (which absolutely should handle NAT) and modem, it does not perform as a router. This is clear from the number of people advising that we put the hub in modem mode and go buy a router

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@paul9115 wrote:
We're paying for a service, part of that 'service' includes equipment rental. 

So VM should default the hubs to modem mode then. That ends that. Or for the many that don't have a problem with the hub (and yes their are some people) router mode is not the service you pay for but is the default.  

A microwave with oven is not as good as a microwave and a oven.

paul9115
On our wavelength

No, VM should provide hubs that are fit for purpose. Suggesting that that putting up with bad equipment is just adding to the problem. I have had a few providers over the years, and each of them has provided me a 'hub' that functions as bot a modem AND router without issues, comparing broadband to a microwave oven is completely moot and shows ignorance.Many people have a problem with the sub par equipment, the issue is people such as yourselves would rather bury their heads in the sand and suggest wasting money on equipment that should (and is by most providers) be supplied as part of the cost