Menu
Highlighted
Gantymiffy
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Problems reaching speed

Hi after a long time on the phone I’m still no wiser ,I signed up to 350 mg broadband from 200 mg and have had problems with speed .at first it was fine but now I’m getting less than 100 mg I’ve rebooted router done a hard reset connected laptop via cat 7 Ethernet cable and had operators run loads of test but get fobbed off ....any help is better than none please
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problems reaching speed

Try it this way and report back what you get.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cable (old ones do "go off") to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first - if they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gantymiffy
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi I’m doing test on mobile phone not laptop I can’t use laptop in safe mode just to get top speed I was getting fantastic speed then all of a sudden it’s very poor it can’t be browsers or network problem I’m thinking along the lines of hub issues 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connect the laptop etc.. was designed as a "test" to see whether you are receiving >350mbps at the Hub, if CS are "fobbing you off they have probably tested the line and concluded that that is what you are getting - but you havent run the test so now you dont know whether that is the case.
Here's the rub.... My Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network (or connect the Air by ethernet cable). Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!
I suspect if your issues have just started (and on wifi) that your wifi devices may be connecting on the 2.4 network. It possible to test that if you like by renaming the 2 network SSID's and thus separating them out and testing each individually.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gantymiffy
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Test was done via safe mode on laptop but not able to support 1gig but still only getting 128 mg for a 350 mg broadband package very annoying 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean by "not able to support 1gig " but if I interpret it correctly... why would you expect that device would be able to get anything above 100mbps ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Gantymiffy
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is what virgin are telling me that to test the speed I have to have a device capable of receiving high speeds ..... my iPhone was picking up on there own speed test app the recommended at 380 meg 2 days later it’s less than 100 but it’s my fault my equipment my cat cable my area I live in my house having walls to thick .....never there fault or faulty hub always my fault ...it it’s not dealt with by this broadband expert that they have booked me in for a phone chat this Wednesday then I’m cancelling it very poor service from virgin

0 Kudos
Gantymiffy
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

B3557420-3EF1-4AB3-A19D-87334FAA5743.png

67EC3790-DC94-4035-8CC6-2AE89DC29B62.png

Proof of what I’m talking about both WiFi both taken on my iphone look at the drop in speed after I had 350 mg installed 

0 Kudos
Gantymiffy
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still getting less than half the 350 mg I’ve paid for 😡😡😡😡

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gantymiffy,

I am sorry to hear your frustrations with this. Looking at the screenshots you've provided it looks like you're connected to a VPN service. Were you connected to the VPN when running your speed tests? As this can reduce the speeds you get from our service.

Have you followed jbrennand's advice and separated the two bands of your WiFi network to ensure you're connected to the 5Ghz signal when running your tests? If your device is connected to the 2.4Ghz band it will result in lower speeds on the speed test as this particular band is the slower one and is for devices either outside of the shorter range of the 5Ghz signal or are unable to connect to the 5Ghz network due to limitations of their network adaptors.

You advised you've been told that your laptop isn't compatible with the maximum speeds available on our network via an ethernet connection, have you been guided through the process on how to check if this is the case?

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos