cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with latest HomeHub

tid4678
Joining in

Recently ordered and had installed 200mb Fibre Broadband, via line. Works fine at 200mbs coming into the rooter according to the App and if connected wireless.

However I also need to root the signal through a powerline adapter using the cat5 ports on the rear of the Rooter, I get a signal and can root this fine, but the Max speed the back of the rooter outputs on any port is 100mb/s can anyone give any clues or ideas as to why the hub loses speed for a cat5 connection? I have tried port switching, changed cables but even hard cabled to a cat5 port on laptop I still only get 100mb from it. Rooter seems to have super weak wifi signal as well can anyone tell me its brand / make for maybe it there are additional antenna or anything to help?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

@tid4678 wrote:

Recently ordered and had installed 200mb Fibre Broadband, via line. Works fine at 200mbs coming into the rooter according to the App and if connected wireless.

However I also need to root the signal through a powerline adapter using the cat5 ports on the rear of the Rooter, I get a signal and can root this fine, but the Max speed the back of the rooter outputs on any port is 100mb/s can anyone give any clues or ideas as to why the hub loses speed for a cat5 connection? I have tried port switching, changed cables but even hard cabled to a cat5 port on laptop I still only get 100mb from it. Rooter seems to have super weak wifi signal as well can anyone tell me its brand / make for maybe it there are additional antenna or anything to help?

Thanks

Because CAT5 maxes out at 100Mbps.

You need CAT5E or better for speeds up to 1000Mbps.

That and powerlines will never be fast anyway even if you did get the correct cable type as they usually only have 10/100Mbps ports. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Okay, are there any recommended ways to extend the wifi range through Virgin approved hardware then? Currently even if I plug any cable into the back I still only get 100mb out, which might match what your saying ie I need to get some cat5e cables, but if the powerline solution wont support over 100mb anyway I need to rethink how to resolve this as need to find a way to root the full speed throughout the house.