cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer connection

Harry81
Tuning in

I have a new Hub5 installed and set up. I am unable to locate air printer even though my printer is on wifi. My iPads does not recognise my Canon printer. Any suggestions?

34 REPLIES 34

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@goslow wrote:

It would certainly help if you stopped mutli-posting your query in different/new topics each time you post as no one can follow your issue/help offered as it is all over the place. Just stick to the one topic for posting.

<snip>

Kudos to the person who has taken the time to merge all the multi-posts. The OP's query, and the replies, make some kind of sense now they are all in one place!

I have carried out you suggestions but my printer is still not found.

My printer does not have “access mode”. It is a Conor Pixma MG3250.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Harry81 wrote:

My printer does not have “access mode”. It is a Conor Pixma MG3250.

If you have tried all of the above, then you may be out of luck connecting this printer to the Hub 5 via wireless.

As far as I can see from a quick scan of the manuals, the default setup method is WPS which is generally a bit hopeless for a reliable setup process.

Do the initial setup with the wireless printer in the same room as the VM hub to ensure a good wifi signal strength.

There is a setup page below

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg325...

Final suggestion from me would be ...

Go to the bottom of the setup page and reset the printer's network connections as explained there.

Turn off the 5 GHz setting on the VM Hub 5 temporarily so only 2.4 GHz is running

Set the 2.4 GHz signal on the Hub 5 to 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed as per jbrennand post at #16

(Edit: As per suggestion from Client62 at #25 below. Set wireless security on the Hub 5 to WPA2)

From the link above refer to the section 'Standard USB Connection Method' with a view to doing the initial setup of the printer wifi whilst plugged in with a USB cable (this means you can manually enter the Hub 5 network details SSID/wifi password from a keyboard rather than relying on WPS).

Once you have gone through and completed the wireless setup routine via USB and manually entered you Hub 5 wireless info, see if the printer appears in the list of connected devices on the Hub 5.

If it does, turn on the 5GHz wifi on the hub and see if the connection holds up.

If still no joy, you may be tied to using the printer via a USB connection.

The Canon printer can perform a WPS connection using security mode WPA2.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg3250_pri...

This could be another situation where Hub5's WPA3 prevents connection.   Also try with WPA3 disabled.

There is also an option in the URL above showing how to set the WiFi configuration with the printer via a USB cable.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

The Canon printer can perform a WPS connection using security mode WPA2.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg3250_pri...

This could be another situation where Hub5's WPA3 prevents connection.   Also try with WPA3 disabled.

There is also an option in the URL above showing how to set the WiFi configuration with the printer via a USB cable.

A good suggestion. Wasn't aware the Hub 5 had this WPA3 feature.

Agreed, a USB setup route is more likely to succeed than WPS IMO.

I don’t have a WPS connection on my Hub5. I have been informed that iPad (9th) cannot be connected bu USB to printer!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Harry81 wrote:

I don’t have a WPS connection on my Hub5. I have been informed that iPad (9th) cannot be connected bu USB to printer!

WPS button is on the back of the Hub 5 (in online images of the Hub 5).

The idea is you use another device (such as a laptop, desktop etc.) to set up the printer via USB and make the wifi connection, then once the printer is set up on wifi, you should be able to connect your iPad to it (not connect the iPad with USB).

If you have no access to any other devices you will probably be stuck as WPS connection is not that reliable.

Is the Hub 5's WPS button is on the back above the ethernet ports ?

There is no WPS button on Hub5