Menu
Djlovejoy
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Power line adapters causing interference?

I have just bought new powered monitor speakers for my DJ setup, and there is static interference coming through them, initial tests eliminates any issue with my equipment, so I am wondering if it is the wi fi booster I have installed in my house? When I switch it off it stops, I have gone into my hub settings and I am currently using both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Can I switch off one at a time to see which frequency is causing the issue?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Power line adapters causing interference?

@Djlovejoy wrote:

I have just bought new powered monitor speakers for my DJ setup, and there is static interference coming through them, initial tests eliminates any issue with my equipment, so I am wondering if it is the wi fi booster I have installed in my house? When I switch it off it stops, I have gone into my hub settings and I am currently using both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Can I switch off one at a time to see which frequency is causing the issue?

powerline adapters introduce a lot of noise on the mains circuit - it's unlikely to be affected by which of the two wifi bands you broadcast from the booster, it's an issue caused by the noise in the mains that the PLA are responsible for..

0 Kudos
Djlovejoy
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ok that makes sense, so if the crackling and interference issue is definitely RF from the powerline booster then what would you suggest I do?

I bought the booster kit from virgin for one reason mainly, i was having a problem streaming video through my Amazon fire stick in my bedroom, so I bought the booster, plugged in the main one just behind my hub in the living room and the slave booster behind the tv in my bedroom, and hardwired the fire stick right into the booster plug, streaming problem solved, so the fire stick is no longer running off the wi fi but the Ethernet. If I was to run the fire stick through the wi fi but keep the booster in the room, would that eliminate the interference? Or, will it still be an issue because the two power lines are plugged into the mains so still sending a signal through the earth. I need a fix so that the fire stick can still run well in the bedroom, perhaps without the powerline so that my DJ equipment works cleanly. Is there a way of isolating the noise from the mains earth? Eager to hear your advice mate.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The dammed things are well known for causing interference with a wide range of kit - I'm a radio ham and they really screw up the bands for us - as well as causing the sort of trouble you're reporting.

• get rid of them
  • replace with proper Ethernet cable
  • If you really can't do so you can experiment with different mains cable layouts (a different socket, other side of room?)  or try putting a good mains filter (EMC filter) on the mains supply to your DJ equipment

There are a lot of variables - the interference could be radiating from the mains cables and getting into your DJ kit that way, or be conducted along the mains supply to the 'victim' equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD4ZLMLlShA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You may need to invest in a mains cleaner plug for your DJ kit if your mains are "dirty" I've seen various ones advertised in the like of What Hi-Fi etc.
0 Kudos
Djlovejoy
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so would another option be to fit isolated clips on the mains leads to the DJ equipment? Suppressing the RF signal?

0 Kudos
Djlovejoy
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That sounds interesting mate, could be a good idea, would they come in the form of an extension which plugs into the wall socket, providing sockets for the three plugs (controller, and two speakers)
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There are various types made, so have a look at What Hi-Fi etc for what is available.
I have poor mains where I live and occasionally get brown outs (thats where the voltage drops below 240v) and I use an APC UPS on my networking kit. This provides a clean supply and battery backup when the power drops. It's not enough to be a blackout, but the UPS will kick in until the power is back to proper levels. Usually within a few minutes.
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You may get away with cheaper clip on ferrites on the mains lead of your DJ kit - it depends on the frequency and level - but many of the smaller ferrites are for VHF, not HF where the PLAs operate.

A Fair-Rite  0431177081 ferrite clamp would be best to try - several turns of the power lead through it - they cost around £15 - available on Fleebay and various websites.

Also, see this site on how to use;

https://rsgb.org/main/technical/emc/using-emc-filters-and-ferrites/

Some of the 'mains cleaners' or whatever are not very good, especially at the frequencies in question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Djlovejoy
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I fitted ferrite clamps on the power lead of the controller at the plug end and the controller end, and have also fitted clamps on the speaker power cables, not a brilliant difference, what do you mean by “ several turns of the power lead through it “ ?

0 Kudos