cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly faulty Hub 4 with no link on ethernet

foolishlywise
Tuning in

Strange issue with my Hub 4 - it seems like it's died. I had it in modem mode all fine until I noticed I had no internet. Looked at the hub itself, had a solid white light (all good). Then realised there was no ethernet link between the hub and the router I use. 

Testing the other ports on the hub also results in no link (as in it seems like the hub doesn't know there's a cable attached). Ruled out my router as when I connect an ethernet cable to my laptop from the hub, nothing again.

Interestingly, when I pull power and leave it then switch it back on, it immediately goes to a white light rather than flashing white then going to solid white.

Done the reset stuff etc etc to no avail and it's the original power supply in use. Think I may need a new hub unless anyone has any other tips... 

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try another reset like this as they can be tricky.

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it, if not call it in as faulty (08.00 is the best time [09.00 - Sun]) or wait here a day or so for a VM person

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Try another cable? can your laptop connect to your router login fine?

I say new hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks both - sadly pinhole resetting hasn't achieved anything! Have tried a couple of different cables too - nothing. 

A quick google search reveals this thread which describes exactly what I'm experiencing. Usually, I can hear a faint whooshing from the fan inside the hub as well as notice it gets a little warm. No fan noise or warmth coming from the unit now. 

We had the power flick off around 2ish - just before the hub stopped - so I suspect the hub is fried. 

Spoke to VM on the phone - they're sending an engineer on Tuesday as hub 4 replacements need authorisation from an engineer. 

Slightly annoying as there's a vulnerable person at the property so would've prefered to have a hub sent out to the house which I could connect to avoid the infection risk... not sure if the VM forum team can look into the possibility of having a hub sent without engineer? 

Hi @foolishlywise,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear there is a fault with your hub. We would usually send a technician out to get this checked and replaced at the visit if required. 

Given your circumstances, I have emailed the Area Field Manager to ask if it is possible to send someone round tomorrow with the replacement hub. 

We will follow up with you if it is possible.

Thanks 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks - super super appreciate it. I'm 101% sure it's the hub as it doesn't do its usual sequence of flashing white light, no heat and no fan - plus no dial tone out of the RJ11 ports. Cabling, internal wall socket and omnibox are spotless. Only stopped working after the power cut.

Obviously happy to swap out the hub and hand the old one to the person who shows up with the new one while they wait (if ok'd by the field manager) 

You're welcome @foolishlywise

The visit is still scheduled in and if the Area Field Manager gets back to us in time we will certainly pop back here to confirm 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Really nice chap phoned me yesterday and said it would likely be best to send out a hub via standard delivery (shortage of engineers/lots of appointments and obvious pandemic issues). Nothing delivered just yet but not too much of a big deal as using the second internet connection as failover - hopefully it'll arrive by tomorrow! 

Guessing I'll likely be texted a tracking link or the like at some point, in the same way I was when upgrading from the Hub 3 to Hub 4? 

Thanks for coming back to us @foolishlywise.

I have looked into your account and can see the tracking information has been applied to your account, have you been given this information by text?

If you haven't been given the information, please let me know and I can drop a private message into you to confirm it.

Regards,

Steven_L