Menu
benek
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Positive experiences of Hub 4 a Giga

I'm thinking of switching to Giga and Hub 4 and really want to see if anyone can share their positive experiences of it?

When reading these forums, you naturally tend to only hear about people's negative experiences which is slightly putting me off upgrading, especially when my Hub 3 and M350 service has been working very well – if it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say… But I am attracted to the speed bump from Giga, so it seems like an option I want to go with sooner or later.

Thank you

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Positive experiences of Hub 4 a Giga

Do you have any devices that will utilise the speed? Or a large number of devices that need the additional bandwidth?

Bearing in mind that the Hub4 is a Wifi5 device, so most decent AC devices will max out at around 400-500Mbps over wifi.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have seen a number of very positive reports (as well as the inevitable tribulations that a support forum attracts) so I think that's a fair ask, although I can't offer any personal experience.. 

I would ask what is your main use?  If your main use is streaming, gaming, and video conf/calling, then latency (ping) is far more important than raw bandwidth.  When the Hub 4 works well, it is actually marginally better for latency than a Hub 3, but if there's any noise issues it can easily perform worse, because the underlying technology (DOCSIS 3.1) is more demanding of line quality than DOCSIS 3.0.  So factor that into your thinking.  If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the hub's status pages and check that the current connection is solid and free of downstream post-RS errors, SNR 38 dB or better across all downstream channels, and a nice clean BQM with no spiking, and only the characteristic yellow fringe of a DOCSIS connection.  .  Also, I'd want to see upstream operating at 4 x 64 QAM, power level in the range 38 dBmV to 47 dBmV, and very few, ideally no T3 timeouts.

If you're not into gaming, streaming and video calls, but merely want the bandwidth for "heavy lift" upload and download (say as Linux or web developer), then you don't need to be quite as picky, because variable latency within limits is generally not that important.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

benek
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK my iMac Pro has a 10Gb ethernet port, but mostly I'm thinking about the bandwidth with multiple devices working simultaneously in mind. And also because I hear the upload speed is faster which will make a difference when transferring files of many GBs – never an issue before work from home – and also I'm not against the idea of just updating to newer hardware …

0 Kudos
benek
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G Thanks for all that info, very helpful.

Mostly I would say my usage is streaming, video calling and uploading/downloading very large files for work, so the increased upload speed is a bonus.

You recommend looking at the Hub's status pages… Do you mean check my existing Hub 3 just to see whether I could encounter latency problems with the Hub 4?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'm suggesting looking at the status page for the Hub 3, and checking the values I've indicated.  Hopefully it's all fine, but very occasionally we've seen people with a good connection at 200-350 speeds encounter problems with 600-1G speeds.  I emphasise that's not the rule, but as I say, although I don't have any need for faster than 200 myself, I wouldn't risk a 1G upgrade unless the existing line were good.  As an example, my downstream is operating at 38 dB SNR, which should be fine, but I'm slowly harvesting post-RS errors across most channels.  That is VERY VERY slowly getting worse and I suspect it's an ageing joint on my 25 year old connection, but it doesn't cause any observable problem at 200 Mbps.  However at the much higher "frequency"* required for gigabit operation it might not be so forgiving.  

If I upgraded I'm sure VM would sort out any problems, but as I say, I don't need the speed, and for domestic reasons I'd rather not risk any disruptions to service.

* To get gigabit connection the Hub operates at exactly the same frequencies as a Hub3, but it uses clever maths and a form of amplitude modulation to get more data through in the same time period, but you get my drift.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
benek
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G … So I took at a look at those things you mentioned. The one thing I haven't done yet is the BQM. Some of the data was outside the ranges you mentioned, but not too much, so I'm wondering whether this is looking good to you?

datadata

0 Kudos