Menu
forshawj
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Positive experience of using BT Total Home Wifi

Thought I'd share my experience of using BT Total Home Wifi. Firstly this has proved that actually the SuperHub 3 is not a bad router, it does the job to manage my home network .. what it is pants at is wifi.

Good news : Superhub and 200 speed are great and I am a happy customer for what I get.

The story ..  I live in semi, 1950's brick built.... 5 bedroom and suffer from poor wifi! 

I did have the original Virgin Media supplied homeplugs and all this marketing stuff on Intelligent Wifi makes me laugh .. it still uses homeplugs which duplicate my SSID and cause my iphone and mobile devices problems getting a reliable network as these keep trying to find the strongest signal but this conflicts and often causes problems getting either a good enough signal in the first place OR maintaining a signal.

I had a homeplug with Wifi in my living room and 50/50 if I could connect... and then number of times I had to restart... 

And then .. VM wanted £3 per month to intelligently replace my homeplugs supplied by them! No thanks ... I wanted to purchase the solution and not increase my bills!

I did look at options like Asus Mesh routers which although provide rock steady reviews, and useful features like VPN option ... I read that BT Total doesn't act like a router (so no risky modem mode) and plugs into one of the Superhub 3 ports ...

I saw Amazon were selling 3 disks for £170 and comparing to Asus router which still need a "repeater" option I thought I'd take the plunge. 

When these were delivered next day, I eagerly unplugged and downloaded the app.. I logged onto the Superhub and switched off the Wifi. After using the app to configure the first disk, I then went into the BT Total management and changed the SSID to my previous Wifi network name - as all my devices including CCTV cams already setup to my old SSID.

I followed the app instructions and installed the additional 2 disks spread as recommended around the house.

I unplugged the multiple homeplugs I have - including the wifi homeplug and have not looked back.. Excellent, fast, reliable wifi .. similar to how Superhub 3 could do it runs 2.4 & 5Ghz network on one SSID - but this actually works!! 

I am a Virgin Media loyal customer - I believe in the brand and overall happy with the broadband service .. BUT Wifi and expecting customers to pay more monthly to get one repeater using homeplugs which don't work compared to MESH is daft.

For me MESH is the way to go - but here the hybrid of using good router + good MESH solution is the way to go... If anyone else having problems then seriously I'd consider this.

jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Positive experience of using BT Total Home Wifi

Glad you found it good. I've had the BT mesh system in use for a year and it has been faultless. 

0 Kudos
Tsar
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear.

What sort of wifi speed do you get around the house?

0 Kudos
forshawj
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

2.4Ghz around 50 - 80 Mbps ... 5Ghz between 600 - 1000 Mbps...

My garden 2.4Ghz webcam used to be very flakey but I was using a repeater of homeplug Wi-fi repeater but now 3 disks and it works fine.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Our Samsung phones connect at 866 Mbp/s around most of the house. 

We are on the 200 Mbp/s service and typically get 180 - 200 over the mesh on speedtest

0 Kudos
Ashtonjay
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

glad to hear good reviews

i actually ordered 6 of these yesterday so im looking forward to setting them up when they arrive

i just hope my network becomes more stable as im always getting ip address issues

did you put the Virmin media hub into modem mode for your setup or leave it as normal?

cheers

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Ashtonjay wrote:

glad to hear good reviews

i actually ordered 6 of these yesterday so im looking forward to setting them up when they arrive

i just hope my network becomes more stable as im always getting ip address issues

did you put the Virmin media hub into modem mode for your setup or leave it as normal?

cheers

Leave it as normal, something has to act as the router and the BT system doesn't

0 Kudos
Ashtonjay
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

see thats odd i was told i can leave my Virmin hub 3 box in modem mode and plug the 1st bt disc into my archer c7 router

i aparently just need to disable the wifi  on my archer c7

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You neglected to mention in your previous post that you had your own router, in fact the wording of it ‘put the hub in modem mode or leave it’, implies that you are running in router mode.

If you have your own router then yes, leave the hub in modem mode, disable the WiFi on your router and plug the first disk into it.