cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding

Fredkcox1
Joining in

Trying to set up port forwarding for cctv at home video only lasts for seconds when viewing away from home, at home picture stays. 
any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

g0akc
Problem sorter
  • What CCTV kit?  Make, model?
  • What hub is it?
  • How are you trying to connect - is this with a manufacturer's app?
  • What port forwarding rule(s) have you set (or tried to set) on the hub?

I've seen/heard of various issues around port forwarding on the VM and other ISP hubs - one of the reasons I use a third party router with hub in modem mode - that just works...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"video only lasts for seconds when viewing away from home"

If this is the case then it cannot be port forwarding. If port forwarding was not working, you would get nothing at all.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi

cctv nvr make alhua 

ports set to 80 TCP 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Port 80 redirected to a CCTV system is very insecure. Hope it’s got a very good password.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Fredkcox1 wrote:

Hi

cctv nvr make alhua 

I’m guessing you mean Dahua ? - often misspelled as in this link;

https://jimssecurity.com.au/what-is-alhua-cctv/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

I suspect you need port 37777  TCP forwarded

as shown Here and in various other webpages 

I would avoid forwarding (therefore exposing) port 80 - it’s only needed for the login/webpage which you can generally avoid for remote access   - if you really must use it choose another port at least

I’m not sure why you see a brief bit of video if ports aren’t open though 

g0akc
Problem sorter

Finally, when you check/test remote make sure you use an external internet connection - such as a friends, work, coffee shop or cellular connection - the hub/router may not allow ‘hairpin’ connections.