cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Scan Attacks(?) killing my connection - help!

madfish
Joining in

After some advice if possible, for the last couple of months at least once (sometimes 2-3 times) a day my internet drops out totally, usually while working from home which is very annoying.

My setup is Superhub 3 in modem mode to a Tenda router, most devices hardwired via lan through through the router.

As mentioned 2-3 times a day everything drops out and I'm not sure what the issue is, the Superhub light stays purple but Symantec on my work laptop states port scan attack detected (sometimes up to 4-5 times) and locks itself up for 10-20 mins, usually I'm resorted to switching both superhub and router off and rebooting.

Any clues where to start, I'm thinking of replacing the router but unsure if that's even the problem, is there something in the Superhub that may lock it out for 10 mins, I need to find a solution as I'm pulling whats left of my hair out with this.

Edit: I was told that Virgin could check my router for scan attacks, and maybe change IP?

3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

Is the firewall enabled on your router?  Is it set up okay?

Can you temporarily use the hub in router mode, bypassing the router?

VM won’t change your IP address though that will change when you switch to a different router with a different MAC address.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi, the router firewall is on and working according to the settings, It just happened again so I checked the log and there is nothing since I rebooted it this morning so the router has not seen an issue.

I assume I can check the log on the Superhub to see if there's anything on there but I cannot access the router, will have to plug in directly and see what its says there.

Hello @madfish

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the broadband drop outs, appreciate the frustration that must cause. You do need a technician visit, this is because all your downstream channels are maxed out or out of spec.

I shall send you a PM now

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill