cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding when SuperHub is in Modem mode not working

Geoghs
Tuning in

I previously used SuperHub in router mode with port forwarding working uneventfully. I then decided to use it in Modem mode and connect it to an Asus mesh network to fix the appalling wifi. Port forwarding now doesn't seem to work.

Setup is:
Internet>>>SuperHub>>Asus>>Switch>>Everything on my network
(Also tried just the 2 devices connected to the router without a switch in between)

Devices that need port forwarding to work are Desktop PC and a NAS (VPN service). The services on the devices have remained unchanged and the ports are correctly configured in the Asus router but any connection from outside the LAN times out.

If I try using the website https://canyouseeme.org/ it tells me that the ports are closed.

All devices on the network have internet access. The DynDNS service is correctly updating my external IP address.

Looking deeper into the router settings, it seems that the WAN IP address that the router is using is a "private" IP address in the range 192.168.100.x but my IP address when I use https://www.whatismyip.com/ is coming up as a "proper" IP address 82.x.x.x.

It seems that the SuperHub is doing some sort of NAT, converting an external IP to an internal IP despite me wanting it to work only as a modem. Is there anyway that this can be turned off or is there some other workaround to allow port forwarding to work properly?

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26

If you mean the WAN connection type - yes

sophist
Trouble shooter

just stumbled across this

might help, idk. but it does suggest that the order i told you to boot stuff up in is the wrong way around..

Need to have the ASUS fully booted *before* you switch on the hub as when it's in modem mode, it'll only offer an IP address once, shortly after boot.  

That article looks like just the thing I need. I suspect I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow evening to fix this now though. My son is Xbox gaming at the moment so I best not interrupt!

Thank you! Let's hope it works.

@Geoghs wrote:
That article looks like just the thing I need. I suspect I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow evening to fix this now though. My son is Xbox gaming at the moment so I best not interrupt!

Thank you! Let's hope it works.

How is he gaming? Have you put the hub back into router mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

ASUS routers have a setting that helps to resolve the DHCP problems with the HUB3 in Modem Mode.

Under WAN  / DHCP query frequency:  set this to Continious.  (This was a feature release in a software update for the ASUS router late last year.)

I have noticed that after the HUB issues a DHCP address it will may not reissue the same or another IP address even if you disconnect / reconnect the link to the Router. 

So I run with it in Continious Mode and if the Asus looses the DHCP address after the lease expirey I go to the WAN menu on the ASUS and Disable wan, save,  count to 10, then re-enable the WAN and save. This sequence appears to elicit a reply from the HUB3 to the Routers DHCP request.

Saves you rebooting the Hub3

Regards,

KK

Just my observations

Thank you. 

Thank Tehwolf, 

That article fixed it.