cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding when SuperHub is in Modem mode not working

Geoghs
Tuning in

I previously used SuperHub in router mode with port forwarding working uneventfully. I then decided to use it in Modem mode and connect it to an Asus mesh network to fix the appalling wifi. Port forwarding now doesn't seem to work.

Setup is:
Internet>>>SuperHub>>Asus>>Switch>>Everything on my network
(Also tried just the 2 devices connected to the router without a switch in between)

Devices that need port forwarding to work are Desktop PC and a NAS (VPN service). The services on the devices have remained unchanged and the ports are correctly configured in the Asus router but any connection from outside the LAN times out.

If I try using the website https://canyouseeme.org/ it tells me that the ports are closed.

All devices on the network have internet access. The DynDNS service is correctly updating my external IP address.

Looking deeper into the router settings, it seems that the WAN IP address that the router is using is a "private" IP address in the range 192.168.100.x but my IP address when I use https://www.whatismyip.com/ is coming up as a "proper" IP address 82.x.x.x.

It seems that the SuperHub is doing some sort of NAT, converting an external IP to an internal IP despite me wanting it to work only as a modem. Is there anyway that this can be turned off or is there some other workaround to allow port forwarding to work properly?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sophist
Trouble shooter

just stumbled across this

might help, idk. but it does suggest that the order i told you to boot stuff up in is the wrong way around..

Need to have the ASUS fully booted *before* you switch on the hub as when it's in modem mode, it'll only offer an IP address once, shortly after boot.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

ASUS routers have a setting that helps to resolve the DHCP problems with the HUB3 in Modem Mode.

Under WAN  / DHCP query frequency:  set this to Continious.  (This was a feature release in a software update for the ASUS router late last year.)

I have noticed that after the HUB issues a DHCP address it will may not reissue the same or another IP address even if you disconnect / reconnect the link to the Router. 

So I run with it in Continious Mode and if the Asus looses the DHCP address after the lease expirey I go to the WAN menu on the ASUS and Disable wan, save,  count to 10, then re-enable the WAN and save. This sequence appears to elicit a reply from the HUB3 to the Routers DHCP request.

Saves you rebooting the Hub3

Regards,

KK

Just my observations

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
It won't be the hub - in Modem Mode it is just that - a "dumb" modem.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

That's what I thought too. But reading around it does seem that the modem mode (aka bridge mode) isn't configured as a true bridge in the SH.

If there is anyone out there who has successfully setup port forwarding on their own router with the Superhub in modem mode, I'd be grateful for their help. 

I run an ASUS GT-AC2900 and have port forwarding setup for my Xbox - works fine.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

sophist
Trouble shooter

No issues with port forwarding here - though i don't use an ASUS device..

idk about ASUS, but do you need a corresponding firewall rule to allow the traffic through (in addition to the port forward) or does it take care of that for you automatically when you create the portforward??

it's also odd that your ASUS is reporting a 192.168.100.x/24 address - whilst there is some trickery going on with that range when in modem mode, the WAN IP of your router should be reporting the public IP address, not the 192 address.. 

Yeah, that seems to be the problem. I'm having an email discussion with ASUS to see if there is anything funny going on with their kit.

spgray
Problem sorter

@Geoghs wrote:

That's what I thought too. But reading around it does seem that the modem mode (aka bridge mode) isn't configured as a true bridge in the SH.

If there is anyone out there who has successfully setup port forwarding on their own router with the Superhub in modem mode, I'd be grateful for their help. 

works fine for me with hub in modem mode using an Asus RT-AX88U.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

sophist
Trouble shooter

@Geoghs wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the problem. I'm having an email discussion with ASUS to see if there is anything funny going on with their kit.

tbh i'd probably just reboot it all... switch the hub and the asus off, then switch the hub back on, wait for it to settle (few mins) then switch the asus back on and see if you get the proper address on the WAN side..

Will try that when I get home...... 

Internet is working for me, just not port forwarding.

Is port forwarding working for you? What setting have you used for obtaining the WAN address?

Thanks.