cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding on Hub 3

Eseche
Joining in

Can anyone help with port forwarding on the Hub 3? I am happy with the equipment IP address, the  internal start and end port fields. Don't know what to do about the external start and end ports. As I write I am currently on hold with the support line and have been for the past 20 minutes. Help!!

66 REPLIES 66

@ sborrainfaccia

I have only just seen this post now, it would make total sense that ipv6 routing was the issue. i only wish they knew that when i called them! id of happy adapted my rules to ipv6 if it was possible, its the future after all still cant quite get my head around it tho! would of been a good opportunity to learn.

thanks for sharing 

Hey there,

I am trying to follow a tutorial on how to port forward on my Hub 3.

1. Access the Hub 3.0 settings page via the web page show on the bottom of the device. For a guide on how to do this, please see Configuring advanced settings on your Virgin Media router.
  2. Click Advanced Settings on the left hand menu and then click theSecurity option
  3. Click Port forwarding.

This is where i get stumped:

below are the options I am offered when clicking on 'security'

Security

• Firewall
  • MAC filtering
  • IP and Port filtering

And that is all. Please can you advise me as to how to port forward?

Here are the details of the Hub 3 that I own:

Standard specification compliant:DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version:4.01
Software version:CH7465LG-NCIP-4.50.18.20-3-NOSH
Cable MAC address:**:**:**:**:**:**
Cable modem serial number:DDAP6090007D
System up time:1day(s)14h:9m:20s
Network access:Allowed

Can anyone help?

Thank you most kindly

tgems

Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi tgems,

Thanks for your post.

Our set up is a little different here, so it may be worth posting here, for some advice with this one.

Hope this helps,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

I have tried to forward some ports are forwarded without a problem, however some other ports are impossible to forward I keep getting the same error message.

The local ports between 80 and 80 on IP 192.168.0.xx have been added as virtual server already, please try another one.
 What on earth is it talking about ? Why is it compulsory to create a rule of beginning and end local ports why not put it there as an option if desired or the situation requires it then we use if not we can easily skip it, I have used IpTables I have all kinds of routers for years I have never seen where it is obligatory to specify the local start and the local end ports now it is giving me this error as if it is used elsewhere while it is not the case.
And it does that with many other ports not just the 80 or 443.
Any ideas why it is throwing this stupid error ?
However this is just one of the many things that are wrong with this hub I can make a list of the things that aren't and should never be accepted and tolerated by anyone, I know VirginMedia is a soulless corporations who cares not about anybody but its shareholders.
But we must not pay for a service that keeps breaking down and a cheap equipment that looks like it was made back in the 1940s.
It is a disgrace for a such large corporation to treat its customers like idiots.
I know that VM has the habit of testing things on its most faithful customers, VM uses its customers as its guinea pigs
I am in the process of moving out of VM as soon as possible, I have had enough, it's time to move on.
Since they took over NTL World I knew it was going to be bad news.
That was my five minute rant.
In the meantime If anyone has any idea on how to solve this issue, I would really appreciate it.
Cordially
A frustrated and very disappointed VM user.

P.S I also have tried to use the Hub 3 as a modem and connected several routers (one after another) not one of them worked.

cappilio
On our wavelength
It's a firmware issue. No real need for it either I don't see how it benefits them in anyway the porta are closed by default and you can't open the most common types for some bizarre reason.

I think they spent so much time on the ipv6 stuff that they forgot the basics

Downgrade the older model is actually ok it's pretty solid. I mean it's no Cisco product but it does what it should .

Hello,

For those who are having problems with the Hub 3 I have managed to get it to work as a "Modem" and I plugged in my Linksys wireless router and I can now use it to forward all the ports.

I disabled the "firewall" in the Hub.

Plugged the second router to the Hub I then changed the Hub from a router mode to a modem mode while the second router was plugged into it, It took roughly a long painful 5 minutes for the Hub to complete the process.

After that I refreshed the page on the second router Linksys wireless router, nothing, so I went and released the DHCP and renewed it again, (you may have something similar with one of your routers) and bingo it pulled all the (external) IP address, I then plugged all of my computer and devices to the second router. I activated the wireless on the second router (since the hub was in a modem mode) now everything is working smoothly I did not notice any speed issues as a matter of a fact I actually noticed an increase in a speed it really is weird, although I know from my experience that the Linksys routers are exceptionally good next to Cisco's second perhaps after the Cisco technology, I do like them, they never let me down, I have been using them for donkeys years, They are very reliable and stable, extremely easy to configure and setup.

Ok in this order.

1) Disable firewall in Hub 3

2) Plug second router

3) Change the Hub from a router mode to a modem mode. (In some cases it can even work with the Hub as a router) (Wait for the process to complete)

4) In case your router did not pick up the IP address, try and refresh it, or by releasing and renewing the DHCP.

5) Refresh or reboot the second router, it usually clears the cache of any existing data and loads the new data served by the Hub and voilà!

Note: It might be slightly different if you're using a different type of router, but the firewall in the Hub blocks all traffic so it's best to disable it.

I hope this can help someone.

I agree with you, that it's a firmware issue, but some average users don't need all of this hassle and they certainly don't pay VM to hear their excuses.

VM is very good at making excuses, it uses the worst equipments on the market and when the s*** hits the fan they pull out the encyclopaedia of excuses.

Good luck to you all

Anyone coming to this now, I had my Hub 3 delivered this week and port forwarding works fine for me.

On Virgin Media Hub 3.0 
Hardware version : 10
Software version : 9.1.116V

Port forwarding works for me.  

I can't get WOL from the Internet to be forwarded to my home server to wake it up, but then it's not a TCP or UDP packet, and the forwarding rules seem to be for TCP/UDP only.    
I never got WOL to work with BT or TalkTalk either.

Well technical speaking it's a UDP broadcast, best way of working it is 3rd party software thats triggered remotely ? Raspberry pi anyone .

But I guess leaving something on defies the point.

Sounds like the issues are resolved now, at least with the new sh3

Indeed. Thanks for that.

Yes, I decided on a similar solution using a second home router running the very powerful DD-WRT firmware, which works beautifully.

I'd prefer the vendor to provide static ARP  as a simpler solution..