cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding (Strict Nat Type) XR1000 Hub 3

UnarmedGinger
Tuning in

Hello Beautiful People! 

I have a question, my current setup is causing me issues with NAT types. And I'm at a little bit of a loss with it. 

I currently have a HUB 3 set up in modem mode, and a XR1000 nighthawk running the setup and wifi in my home. I have a few probably silly questions but i hope they can be answered. 

Im trying to open ports for games i play to get an Open NAT. Currently its sat at strict or moderate. Do i need to open these on both the HUB 3 and the XR1000. Or one or the other and if the latter which one? I know i will have to set a static ip etc. Would just like to see if someone has maybe a link or a little time to share how i would go about setting the whole thing up! 

Thank You! 

UG. 

6 REPLIES 6

g0akc
Problem sorter

You shouldn't need to touch anything on the hub if it's in modem mode - it will be a bridge and simply forward traffic to/from your router.

Have a play with port triggering/port forwarding on your router.  Check that UPnP is enabled and so on. Be aware that some of these things can compromise security for other online uses.

I found a useful guide Here  Aimed at Linksys but most of the content will be true for any router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Port forward UDP 3074 to the device
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@UnarmedGinger wrote:

Hello Beautiful People! 

I have a question, my current setup is causing me issues with NAT types. And I'm at a little bit of a loss with it.   <snip>

Have a look at this website, Portforward.com   It should answer all your questions around port forwarding.  It covers a vast range of Routers.

Now if VM had proper IPv6 this would be a thing of the past.   😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi wrote:
Now if VM had proper IPv6 this would be a thing of the past.   😉

Nope because VM will likely do a proper firewall (best guess it be by MAC of the device and port/protocol) to block inbound that do not match for outbound because can you imagine anything even with a firewall like windows blocking stuff correctly because MS firewall for inbound is more leaky then a bucket you go check whats allowed and their be things you don't want to allow and apps just make themselves at home by allowing rules when they don't need inbound rules!

Kostek
Tuning in

Hi Ginger 👋 

Check that maybe it will guide you a wee bit.

https://youtu.be/Vm30a6CN3MA

Also check your ports after you finish forwarding, cause I had everything done properly on my NetGear X6 but after checking this website it appeared closed and I can't see what I've done wrong. After watching that video I'm starting to think if HUB 3 even on modem mode has some kind of firewall. 

https://www.portchecktool.com/

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Kostek wrote:

...I'm starting to think if HUB 3 even on modem mode has some kind of firewall. 

Their is no firewall it is you that is the firewall...