cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi when plugging in ethernet

NewtoVM1
Joining in

Hi, since moving to VM we have had this problem. When we plug an Ethernet cable into the router (hub 4) the wifi becomes poor,laptops won’t connect and Xbox becomes laggy. We need the Ethernet plugged into the router as we have a smart home and 5 x CCTV cameras through the network. Has anyone experienced this?

many thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @NewtoVM1,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been facing some Wi-Fi issues when your router is also running a wired/Ethernet connection at the same time. Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable to see if that helps at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You need to look at getting a better router with 1Gb ports with hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

How could one Ethernet cable + switches and several cameras and devices causes the WiFi to become unstable ?

The Hub has a network switch between its Ethernet ports and the WiFi access points there should be minimal traffic getting to the WiFi from the network cable, unless devices on the network cable segment are flooding broadcast messages. A network loop also results in floods of broadcast messages.

Hi Zach,

I have tried a different ethernet cable, i just think the router is not up to the job. Could this be the case?

Regards

HI NewtoVM1 👋 thanks for getting back to us! 

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing the same issues after trying with an alternative ethernet cable. I've had a quick look for you and the speeds reaching your hub are great! Averaging 136mbps Download and 20.83mbps upload reaching your hub, so it does not initially look like there is an issue with your Router. You can see these yourself here 👉  samknows.com/realspeed . However, I can see a disconnection showing in the past week, and a total of 4 in the past month. I'd like to take a further look and monitor your connection for a few days to see if anything else crops up that we should be aware of so we can offer further support. 

If we continue to see issues we can arrange to send a technician out to you to investigate and change your hub if needed. You can see find a PM from me in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox 📩. We can then return to this public thread with an update when possible! Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 
All the best. 🌞

Molly