Menu
Highlighted
Birkett2009
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor speeds terrible upload

Over the last few weeks our broadband service has been choppy at best. Watching a simple YouTube video is a chore.

i have spoke to the “tech department” who basically said nothing was wrong and blamed my devices that we were watching videos on etc. Every device has been tested via ethanet connection. With no improvement.

the latest speed test I have done on WiFi pinged back that I was getting 72mb down and 0.81 upload. Is the upload the issue here? Iv never seen it that low.

apologises I’m not very network savvy.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor speeds terrible upload

@Birkett2009 wrote:

Over the last few weeks our broadband service has been choppy at best. Watching a simple YouTube video is a chore.

i have spoke to the “tech department” who basically said nothing was wrong and blamed my devices that we were watching videos on etc. Every device has been tested via ethanet connection. With no improvement.

the latest speed test I have done on WiFi pinged back that I was getting 72mb down and 0.81 upload. Is the upload the issue here? Iv never seen it that low.

apologises I’m not very network savvy.

What model of hub do you have ?  What are the download/upload speeds on ethernet (Cat5e or better) cable ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Birkett2009
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have the super hub 2.

download on ethanet is 108mbs upload is 0.81mbs ping of 108ms

mike

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Birkett2009 wrote:

I have the super hub 2.

download on ethanet is 108mbs upload is 0.81mbs ping of 108ms

mike

ok - post up your network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. 

Go to http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 ) in your browser [there is no need to login] and then click on the  “router status” icon at  top right - or bottom middle - of first page up -- depending on which hub you have  and then copy/paste 3 sets of data onto here - the downstream, upstream , &  network logs.  Don't worry about the formatting it can be easily read (by others & not by me!), but try and avoid using screen shots & don’t include personal data or mac addresses.

Here is an example of how they should appear

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-0-Overheating/td-p/3816312

If someone spots a network connection problem, a VM Forum staff member on here will organise a technician visit or you may be quicker calling the help line for that citing the forum discussion.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Birkett2009
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

5278BBE7-F268-4693-880B-3D102F47D8BF.png

FA3ADC47-60E0-4F07-8DD8-4D748F191A78.png

4AECCC5C-F139-495B-A1DD-C327DDB58CE4.png

DF18EAF2-4612-446C-8D11-A4C6661E40C9.png

Had to screen shot due to that I can’t get to my desktop.

im running a super hub 3 not a 2

thanks mike 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Birkett2009,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read you are having an issue with the broadband connection.

From checking your line, everything has come back as fine with no errors. 

When you get chance complete a speed test whilst the Hub is in modem mode please. This will eliminate other devices connected. 

Do you use speedtest.net to check the speeds?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Birkett2009
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

yeah I use speed test .net. I activated modem mode. Ran speed test on desktop run at 110mb down and 4mbs up. Ran my Xbox and 5mb down and 0.17 up. I changed cables and ports and ran again both the desktop and the Xbox ran at 5mb a sec. 

This super hub 3.0 has been nothing but trouble.

i also did a network diagnostic on the hub it’s self and it pinged this back. Number 1 and 5 contradict them self.F4F26A61-C935-4709-A64E-1B09F6E05A82.png

I think the only way this can be resolved is with a engineer visit. 2nd time in like 4 or 5 months

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From your checks sounds like there could be a Hub ethernet port or cable problem.  Could you please try a pinhole reset of the hub and retest all the ports using Cat5e or better cable and let us know how things are looking.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Birkett2009
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again.

having completed a full pinhole reset and switching all cables out with new ones. The speeds remain the same.

the only device that seems to get high down load is my desktop which again is hardwired. Was running at 105mb down and 6mb up about 30 mins ago. I have tried switching my Xbox using the same cable and port but again this time 3mb down and 0.8mb upload. Even the virgin tvbox buffers a bbc I player video every 5 seconds and that’s hardwired. I even tried my desktop cable and port on that. But still no joy. 

I have also noticed that the WiFi from my super hub 3.0 no cuts out quite often for no reason. After restarting the hub it then comes on.

do we think that my hub 3.0 is the issue here? Only this past month has there been any real issue. And nothing with my tech has changed.

regards

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Birkett2009,

I appreciate you posting back here.

In regards to this issue, I have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some additional information.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos