Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor position of router

Our router was positioned in a corner at the very back of our house. WiFi strength is very poor at the front of the house. How can I resolve this? Is it possible to bois the signal in some way or do I have to have the router moved?

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor position of router

You have a number of options:

Have VM move your router (for which you will be charged).
Move it yourself (using a longer cable to connect to box).
Put the router into modem mode and link it via ethernet cable to a second router placed in a location of your choice.
Install signal booster(s).

The 2nd option is probably the cheapest.
M350 over FTTP
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is this a recent install? If so you should be able to convince VM that it wasn't sited where you wanted it.
Is that correct - or did you want it there and it turned out to be a poor location?

If not there will be a £99 call out charge to move it. with no guarantee that it will solve a wifi issue.

I would say that the £99 would be better spent getting your own Router + wireless access points or a Mesh system (for example TP-Link Deco M4 [£99] - or £150 for the M5 for larger properties) that should give good whole home wifi coverage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is a pity that you can't get parabolic reflectors to sit behind the Hub.

Anyway.

If this is a newish install you could ask for a no charge move of the Hub because it isn't in an appropriate position and the installer should have known that.

If the positioning was at your insistence then VM would charge £99 to reposition the Hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo