cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor connection and open Wi-Fi?

Rjcargyle
Joining in

Hi all my first post here please help - signed up for 500 meg - 4 weeks ago when I plugged in router it never gave option of putting in password so totally open also my speeds are only 16mbs - also Wi-Fi just disappears every few hours for 45 min ?? phoned virgin so many times reset hub so many more times they I was given instructions to go into router and change settings - so slow and pants any ideas please ? Cheers rich

13 REPLIES 13

g0akc
Problem sorter

What speed do you get with a wired connection?

What SSID are you connecting to - it should be something like VM12345678 as shown on the hub (along with password).

You can connect to that without providing a password?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Cheers for the reply - even wired it’s the same SSDI I have no idea what that is lol sorry and yeah I connect to the one VM23446788 that’s on bottom of router but no padlock on signal so simply connect ?

SSID is basically the wireless network name 

sounds odd if no password required 

check security settings on the hub - or try a factory reset 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Also note VM do not guarantee wifi speeds.   All speed tests need to be done with a direct cabled connection to the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey Rjcargly, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. I am sorry to see you are having some issues with speeds and WIFI.

I can see you have been given some advice already by our amazing members. Please could you let me know if this is on WIFI / wired connection? 

Also with the WIFI dropping, is this every day and how many times does it do it? I would check the service status to see if is there any planned work / outages out you can check it here

I have also managed to take a look on our end I cannot see no outages / planned work.

As also mentioned yes we only measure our speeds through the wired connection. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The ethernet and WiFi connections are quite separate. 

The ethernet connection just works straight away without any password.  You only need the Hub password if you want to log on to its settings. 

The SSID only applies to WiFi connections, and on the device you are connecting you will need to enter the SSID and the WiFi password. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

thanks for this - however still same issue after all the advice - open network so anyone can connect to my VM2563774 no password required and Ethernet connection just as slow as Wi-Fi  31.2mbps download - and I’m paying for 500 !! Losing faith so so much but I don’t wanna leave - I’ve even said to virgin I’ll pay for engineer but all I get is reset / hold button with pencil for 60sec….

Firstly, has anybody tried changing WiFi channels?

Secondly, for those with very low download speeds via ethernet, are you sure the ethernet port is capable of 1Gb (many older/value based devices are still only 10/100 Mbps cabable).

On Windows 7/8/10/11Open Settings.
Click on Network & Internet.
Click on Status.
Click the Change Adapter options item.
On the connected Ethernet icon, right click and select status.
The speed should indicate 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1.0Gbps.

have seen 10/100 NICs built into new value and midrange TV's

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

go back to basics - a full reset will reset the hub to defaults - the default settings on any VM hub has the wifi closed - i.e. needing passwords to log into wifi

so start again - hold the reset button a good 30sec - dont guess - time it and add a bit the hub lights should cycle and after a few minutes the hub should come back on line

you should then not have open wifi networks - if you have you have the reset has not worked so try it again this time holding the reset button for a minute or more - thats totally over kill but its just to be 100% sure - again if the wifi networks are open the hub is faulty and needs changing

one thing finally when you do the reset do not power down the hub just let it sort itself out

post back with an update

Tony.
Sacked VIP