cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor connection and open Wi-Fi?

Rjcargyle
Joining in

Hi all my first post here please help - signed up for 500 meg - 4 weeks ago when I plugged in router it never gave option of putting in password so totally open also my speeds are only 16mbs - also Wi-Fi just disappears every few hours for 45 min ?? phoned virgin so many times reset hub so many more times they I was given instructions to go into router and change settings - so slow and pants any ideas please ? Cheers rich

13 REPLIES 13

Hi Tony thanks for this - 5 resets -  timed over a minute after letting it settle and come back on. Results : open network with my VM48765368 and still slow internet - I’ll call virgin and ask for new hub 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Rjcargyle wrote:

Hi Tony thanks for this - 5 resets -  timed over a minute after letting it settle and come back on. Results : open network with my VM48765368 and still slow internet - I’ll call virgin and ask for new hub 

you can try and you may get one but your problem if not unique is VERY rare assuming you get offshore i doubt they will even understand the problem - will flag the thread and lets see what staff here say

Tony.
Sacked VIP

As @-tony- says above, chances are that when you do call, you will be put through to the offshore call centre in which case you nights as well be talking to a brick wall for all the help they are likely to be. I fully expect you’ll get a ‘turn it off and on again’ followed by ‘leave it for 24 hours and I guarantee it work perfectly’ - hint: no it won’t!

So what I’d be tempted to do it to turn the hub off and disconnect it. Then call VM and say that you have no connection at all, you may be asked to switch the hub off and on again and tell them what lights are showing - just make something up. You may be told that ‘we can see the hub on the network and it is all working perfectly now’ in which case you will be assured that they are just lying and saying anything to get you off the phone - not, of course, that ever happens!

Ideally they’ll realise that the hub is obviously faulty and send a technician who should have a spare hub on the van. Ply them with tea and biscuits for the best chance of getting them to swop the hub out.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rjcargyle

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue, I am going to drop you a private message to investigate further. Please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs