cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor broadband solihull

qsami
Tuning in

Recently moved to solihull and have been experiencing the worst wifi despite the fact that the package is supposed to be one of the best. 

Are there any others who suffer with poor quality around streetsbrook Road, woodlea way, woodlea Drive, aslawn crescent etc and any outcome of raising it with virgin?

Are there any better networks in this area?

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked for any “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers - or just you.

if nothing is reported we can dig deeper.

What are the issues exactly? Dropouts/ speed issues, buffering? And are these only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Thanks for your note.

I am using v3 hub.

The issues include dropouts so wfh I get disconnected during meetings, buffering takes an awful long time to load documents and youtube videos are no fun to watch and it's intermittent.

I use Ethernet cable which helps but doesn't resolve the issue.

On the app it always says that there are no issues so it's kind of useless. I have tried the automated number and sometimes it says there are serious issues but when talk to customer services they completely negate it.

So what I wanted to establish being new in the area is if these are old problems and coverage is generally poor?

Regards, Sami

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Qsami, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums 🙂 

I am so sorry to hear you are having issues with your service, I can see from our systems that you are affected by an SNR outage, the fix date for this is 26 APR 2022 09:00

Zoie

Hi Zoie,

Thanks for your note. 

Sorry but I have been having these comments since I moved here but the situation hasn't improved. And I don't believe that it would get better now. 

Every time I call virgin, firstly they simply refuse to admit that there is any issue and later say the same thing as you have mentioned. I have bee promised numerous times but unfortunately nothing has changed. 

Hi @qsami,

I do apologise for the inconvenience that this fault is undoubtedly causing for you.

As my colleague has advised, we're aware of and are working on resolving the issue ASAP, with a current estimated fix date/time of approximately 9:00am on April 26th.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach

Do you have any update on the issue as the service is still poor with intermittent access and poor broadband speed. 

Appreciate an update if/ when this issue which is been around for nearly 4 months is going to be resolved. 

Thanks

As expected, another promise of delivering the fix wasn't honoured by Virgin however the increase in monthly cost wasn't delayed which is absolutely unproportional to the service being provided. 

Appreciate if I can have some help as it is becoming increasingly difficult and embarrassing to work from home. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What is reported on the 0800 number?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

SNR issues are extremely difficult to trace, mostly not VM fault, often cause by users using bad non-VM cables or unterminated connections allowing noise ingress into the system. That’s the reason they can take a long time to fix.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2