cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wifi / Low Speeds

ScottSudale88
Joining in

We recently had Virgin Media installed (6th Jan) and have been having some issues with the wifi and performance etc - We have signed up for Volt Gig 1 Fibre Broadband. After reading about other users having issues with the Hub 4, I went and bought a router and used the hub in modem mode - This didn't seem to improve anything.

My partner is working from home and when she is on teams it is shocking! Video constantly freezes and is barely useable, same with facetime etc... This includes over wifi and wired connections. Now thinking this could be something to do with upload speeds? I've currently got my mac wired into the Hub 4 and below are the results from Samknows.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 15.24.30.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-16 at 15.26.08.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-16 at 15.29.04.png

24 REPLIES 24

Thanks for the replies guys - I’ll be honest I have no idea what that means, what do I do now… Do I pass on what you’ve said to VM? Is this likely to be an area issue or just ourselves?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I have asked VM to come here and take a look

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you - My partner has important conference calls to take from home this week so hoping we can get this sorted ASAP 🤞🏻

Hi ScottSudale88

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry for the broadband issues and it does need a tech visit.

I shall send a PM now to arrange.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi ScottSudale88

Thanks for joining me on PM. I've booked in the tech visit for the time agreed. This can also be tracked and re-arranged in your online account

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

thirdearinc
Tuning in

I have connected just ~2 hrs ago.

I have tested a speed and it was at least 110Mbps,but now it dropped dramatically to 30-33Mbps! Any idea why?! And if I will have now all the time same speed?

How is it keeping promises of if company fails to supply at least half,at least 54 Mbps,then contract disconnection fee will not be applied?!...

P.s. and to be able to post here I had to verify email,but Yahoo server put all Virgin Media verification emails to a SPAM!

It looks like Yahoo and Virgin Media not friends at all

Good Morning @thirdearinc, thanks for your post and a very warm welcome to you

Are you possibly able to advise us if the speed you're recording on a wired connection or via Wi-Fi? 

If you're able to place the hub in modem mode, and use a Cat 6 (or above) Ethernet cable, this will give you an accurate reading of what speed your property is being supplied with

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I’m having same issues since joining on Saturday (26 March) - we’ve got the M100 and a hub 3. Speed and signal are both erratic. Speeds fall through the floor constantly and devices just lose connection. Even when connected and speed tests show decent speeds, it’s like it takes a while to tho k about connecting before anything (hopefully) loads!

this needs to be sorted in next few days or it’s being cancelled and I’m going back to sky (for lower but much more consistent and stable broadband)

Hi rstacey51, thank you for getting in touch to let us know. 

Sorry to hear of these issues with your speeds and Hub! Having had a look on our systems I can see a high number of disconnections, and some issues with the signal coming into your hub from the exchange. This will require a technician to investigate further. I will send you a PM to confirm a few details and get this booked in for you! You will find the PM in the top right corner of the page, in your Inbox. 

We can return to the public thread with an update as soon as possible. 
All the best

Molly

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi All, back to update the public thread. 

Massive thanks to rstacey51 for PMing with me. 

We were able to get these speed and Wi-Fi issues resolved with a technicians visit! I am so pleased to hear it went well and we were able to get things sorted. Please do let us know if the issue returns or there is anything further we can do to support you!

All the best. 

Molly