Menu
petermuir
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor Wifi (Hub3) - Router Suggestions

I've read through a number of posts and have come to realise that the Hub 3 is pants.

Since December we've found various devices drop of, and the wifi isnt reaching my daughters bedroom now. 

Not sure if this is because we have a few more devices connected now, or if out aging Hub 3 just isnt working as it should.

Anyway, i wanted to hear some suggestions of routers and then set up the Hub 3 in modem mode.
Its a small 2 bedroom house, multiple devices connected (currently 20 are connected).

One point, not sure if it makes a difference.
My landline phone is now connected via the Hub3, so i would need this to still work.

Budget isnt great, so great value ones would be fab.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor Wifi (Hub3) - Router Suggestions

IMHO....Modem mode and any ASUS router will work.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

When you say budget isn’t great, what does that translate to in ££?

I don’t have any experience of the product, but this is from a reputable brand.. whether it services your house effectively or not I couldn’t say, but if you buy it from somewhere with easy returns, you can always give it a try and return it if it doesn’t meet your needs..

it’s likely going to be better than the hub tho 😉

petermuir
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @RedGooner - I'm useless with tech, is there particular features i should look for on an ASUS router. I had a look on Amazon and there is a fair range. 

Just to double check too, that i would leave my landline phone plugged into the back of the Hub3 and it will still work.

0 Kudos
petermuir
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @tehwolf

To be honest, if i can keep it under a hundred that would be fantastic. 

If you can give me a steer on what specs i should be looking for as a minimum that would be great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just make sure it has Gigabit ethernet ports - many cheaper ones dont - if they do the blurb will proudly say so 🙂

Also take a look at Mesh system - the TP-Link Deco M range is a good example - M4 can be had for £99.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@petermuir wrote:

Thanks @tehwolf

To be honest, if i can keep it under a hundred that would be fantastic. 

If you can give me a steer on what specs i should be looking for as a minimum that would be great.

Thanks

You can get a decent router for that money. Should be fine in a 2bed property.. the tp link I linked is an option, or one of the ASUS -this is over budget but was recently available for £100 so you may find a deal somewhere...

@Jbrennand has highlighted the important things to look out for, and also mentioned a mesh system.. given the property size a good router should cover it, but mesh would help if you still find you have black spots...

petermuir
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @jbrennand

Complete newbie question......but what is a Mesh System.....one challenge in my house is plug sockets, or the lack of them. If we need to plug more things in around the home they may be unplugged at times as my wife has that habit. 

The router that someone posted a link to before looks ok - TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Combined Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1750 Mb...

But read somewhere else about Wifi 6 ...... but again have no clue what that means or how it would make a difference to me?

Thanks for everyones help.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@petermuir wrote:

Thanks @jbrennand

Complete newbie question......but what is a Mesh System.....one challenge in my house is plug sockets, or the lack of them. If we need to plug more things in around the home they may be unplugged at times as my wife has that habit. 

The router that someone posted a link to before looks ok - TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Combined Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1750 Mb...

But read somewhere else about Wifi 6 ...... but again have no clue what that means or how it would make a difference to me?

Thanks for everyones help.

Simply, WiFi 6 is just the latest greatest standard offering faster speeds. Unless all of your devices (phones, tablets, computers etc) are relatively new though, they are unlikely to support/make use of it. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If plug supply is an issue then the better router option as tehwolf says will be best for you.

Wifi6 will give fastest wifi connections - but only if your devices are wifi6 "capable". Many older ones aren't and so wont benefit from it. See if your devices are wifi 6 capable. If not then you wont need it - but of course its future proofing if you get Wifi6 devices in the future. But TBH it will only really help if you are on the fastest 1GB (or perhaps 500Mbps) package.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos