cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor WiFi speed at night

Gingangoies
Tuning in

Why does my WiFi speed drop so low during the night?

I have 100mb WiFi and consistently achieve this speed during the day. I’m not a good sleeper so often watch videos during the night and these videos constantly buffer. I’ve recently started running broadband speed tests when I notice the buffering and am often only achieving download speeds of 10 mb during the night. Why is this?  It’s really annoying and I don’t see why there should be such marked differences between day and night. 

26 REPLIES 26

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI @Gingangoies

Thanks for joining me on PM. As discussed the tech visit has been booked in, just to update the thread.

This can also be tracked here

Let us know how the visit goes.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you John. I'll keep you updated.

You're more than welcome mate have a great weekend 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John

An engineer called after our last message.  He was great and replaced some old connections.  Apart from this he was unable to find anything wrong.

Since then the problem has spread throughout the house.  Th engineer recommended that I use Speedtest to check my wifi speed.  I'm attaching screen shots so that you can see how the wifi speed varies from great to poor on the same day and wishing minutes of each speed test.  You will also see some tests which could not connect to Speedtest as the wifi was so poor.

I'm at a loss to work out what's going wrong, but I pay Virgin a considerable sum of money each month and this situation is not good enough.

Please let me know what you can do to sort this out.

I'm away for the weekend so may not get straight back to you if you reply.

Dave Cole

Screen shots are attached.22AF696C-0E62-435D-AC6A-F7F0DC45B782.pngBD1B2313-C18B-40E1-A4A4-C0A9E065773E.png46244CC3-CC2F-4BE7-91E7-51FAA1A652D9.pngAFE2E9A3-8534-4EE5-B445-0793A3EDD6E0.png77AC816F-3978-4B3F-8187-66CFF2683E62.pngF73E4734-6382-48D6-9BA9-19E0D9F9E1E8.png8E899EDA-2EBE-4EC8-A717-5178B2629C82.png

Thank you for the update @Gingangoies,

Do the speeds fluctuate in the same way on wired devices? Would you be able to set up a broadband quality monitor so we can experience these speeds and drop outs and then post the results on here. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

This will help us determine where the problem may lay.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua

I have no idea what a broadband quality monitor is and I am not prepared to go to any expense to sort out this problem.  As I previously stated, I pay a considerable amount of money to Virgin each month for a supposedly 100mb wi fi service.  This is a problem that Virgin should be sorting out, rather than expecting me to do so.  Please let me know when you are able to arrange another visit by an engineer to look into this for me.

@Gingangoies wrote:

Hi Akua

I have no idea what a broadband quality monitor is and I am not prepared to go to any expense to sort out this problem.  As I previously stated, I pay a considerable amount of money to Virgin each month for a supposedly 100mb wi fi service.  This is a problem that Virgin should be sorting out, rather than expecting me to do so.  Please let me know when you are able to arrange another visit by an engineer to look into this for me.

You wouldn't need to - the BQM is free you can set it up at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks Lotharmat.

Dave

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6225de988fc54132e3b4082c19d0f71e3b1a5c3e-08-06-2021

Hi Akua

Here is the first graph.  Let me know if you need more.

Dave 

That looks suspiciously like over utilisation so far - Pretty quiet all night and then - 08-0900 it ramps up and latency becomes an issue and then will likely tail off at about 10 pm at night!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7