cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wi-Fi signal

jmarek5
Joining in

Hello I’m having problems with my wifi signal and speed. My wifi router is in living room and when I move to kitchen I still having good speed and signal but when in my bedroom or in the second bedroom my phone will automatically lose connection with Wi-Fi router. Can some one advice please ? 

ps: I already split my Wi-Fi to 2.4GHz and 5GHz but the signal and speed is bellow 11mb and my package is 200mb

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are ethernet cable connected devices getting ~200Mbps ?

What Hub model is it ?

See this re. wfii...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, as you have separated the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands - did you at the at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. This often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Is your phone connected to 5g or 2.4g band? If its connected to 5g, then might be worth trying the 2.4g as it has a greater range. It may be faster than the outer range of 5g as well (the weaker the signal the slower the speed).

If it is connected to 2.4g then you will probably need to spend money to improve your wireless network.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @jmarek5

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post, 

Please could you advise if you have managed to follow the advice listed above? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

hello 

I tried all above but nothing help I order even wifi pods from VM and the signal didnt improve.

so i havent managed to find a solution for my issue 

What have you tried exactly?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

i tired channel optimisation which improve little bit of speed from 14mbs to 34mbs but didnt improve signal 

I instal wifi pods from VM with hope that will improve signal and speed but it didnt so i start thiking about requesting enginer to come and have look on my problem. 

@jmarek5 wrote:

i tired channel optimisation which improve little bit of speed from 14mbs to 34mbs but didnt improve signal 

I instal wifi pods from VM with hope that will improve signal and speed but it didnt so i start thiking about requesting enginer to come and have look on my problem. 

they won't sent an engineer for wifi issues.

Have you tested with some wired devices as suggested above?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

and also after instaling to a socket wifi pods, wife pods still flashing i left hem over the night in socket and in the morring they were still flashing but it shoud only take 10 min to set up not 24h so i also plug internet cable to pods and they stop flashing so i remove them from a socket and took it to upstairs in my room and they start flashing again but i cannot have those wifi pods plug in a socket and also with internet cable becosue i dont have that long cable and i believe that they shoud not be plug in with cable wifi pods shoud just set up and i can have it in any part of the house without internet cable 

yes I did the speed was good and connction too but as i said i cant wire whole house becouse this issue maybe i can have one but it still doesnt fix the issue with wifi connection