cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wi-Fi signal

alela
Tuning in

Hello,

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask, but I'm a bit confused about how to get Wi-Fi pods.

I used the Virgin Connect app to scan my house and this is what I experienced:

• The hub, which is located in the ground floor, seems to be receiving top speeds of over 600 Mbps
  • On the same ground floor but different room, literally next door to where the hub is, the app recorded a "Fair" speed of 20 Mbps (which feels extremely poor)
  • On the first floor it only recorded 14 Mbps
  • On the second floor, the Wi-Fi connection keeps dropping and the app fails to complete a scan (have tried several times, keep getting the same error asking to try again in 10 minutes). The signal just isn't strong enough to reach.

Having registered the above, I can't figure out how to get the necessary equipment to improve the signal. I tried calling 150 but there was no relevant option and couldn't speak to anyone.

Does anyone know what the process is?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
_______

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
_______

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see.-

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you John!

I clicked on something to thank you for your response, but it seems that it resulted in the thread being closed.

How do I get a moderator to interact so they can hopefully help me receive the equipment?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You cant do that on here. You need to call it in on the number I showed.

The VM staff will pick this thread up in a day or so (maybe Monday?) and will sort the first Pod for you

--------------------
John
--------------------

ok sorry about the confusion. I did call the number multiple times but it's an endless loop of options, automated line tests until they hang up on me, because the issues are not with the line itself..

Hopefully as you say a moderator will jump in. I've unmarked the thread as "answered" so they don't assume this is solved, but will mark it again as soon as someone gets in touch.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate your time and patience 🙂 

Hi @alela 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the WiFi signal and the Connect App.

Please try the below for me, it should help with either optimising the connection, or prompt you to order a Pod;

• Tap Start the scan 
• Then Start the scan again 
• While connect to WiFi, Tap I’m ready 
• Wait 2 mintues for Scan 
• Scan complete, Tap continue 
• Tap Add a room, Tap the room you're in
• Start the Scan (do this in every room)
• Scan complete
• Tap Optimise WiFi now if an option
• If so, Tap Optimise
• Optimisation complete, Tap Rescan room,  
• Tap Start Scan
• Tap Order a WiFi Booster if an option

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thank you for following up.

The experience I have in the Connect up seems different to what you're describing. I am running the tests in each room, but there is no option to optimize or to order a pod even though at least 2 of the rooms are measuring around 12Mbps, which is well below what's guaranteed in my Ultimate Oomph plan. I'm on a M600 and the hub is receiving the desired speed, so it's 100% a wi-fi issue.

In the Connect app I can see the "Results history" screen showing the various rooms, two of which are marked as "Fair". I don't think 12Mbps is fair, and in fact, I'm due a £100 credit unless this is improved.

What else can I do to get these ordered?

Thank you!

I think I managed to find a way 🙂

I was talking to VM in regards to my account/package and then they kindly transferred me to the faults team who were able to arrange for the pods to be delivered.

Thank you both for your help. Much appreciated!

Thanks for the update alela, please let us know once you received the pods if they help resolve the wireless network issues. We have hep here in regards to the Pods and setting them up although they do come with instructions 🙂

Rob