cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polycomm phone not ringing

Jorgon
Joining in

Hello All,

I have a BT Polycomm WX300 phone from work that I am currently using to WFH. I have the phone connected to my router via ethernet cable though it's not the best situation (cable runs out bottom window to upstairs window then to phone so cable is 10 meter cat 7 cable). I do a week in the office and a week out the office, for the last 6-8 months my phone has just stopped ringing randomly whilst a home.

When in the office I am connected to a port in the wall via a CAT 5E cable which is less than a meter in length and every single call my phone rings and I am able to get it but today already (by 10:30am) my phone has rang twice all together, I have checked my BT cloud control panel and I've missed 8 calls already due to the phone not calling. I have spoken to virgin and they said there is no faults on the ethernet, I have swapped and bought 4 different cables all ranging from CAT 5E upto CAT7. If I ring the phone off my mobile to try and prove a point, without fail every time my phone rings so I am unsure how to further trouble shoot this. 

4 REPLIES 4

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Jorgon,

Is there a tech department in the Office that can check or replace your phone?

Might also be worth calling 0800 389 0598 as per the BT Polycomm WX300 phone manual.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hello,

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually part of the tech department, we have considered looking into getting another handset though these can take a week or so to arrive but we are hesistant due to the fact that the phone works perfectly well whilst in the office. I've found if I unplug my cable and reconnect it it seems to work for the next couple of calls but reverts back to having issues not long after. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the phone work ok on a short Ethernet cable near the hub? Has the office got a small Ethernet switch that you could put near the hub before the long length of cable to the phone? These test should be able to isolate the problem a bit more.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

sophist
Trouble shooter

also, do these phones vpn back into the office or is it all just carried on the internet? if they create a tunnel it's worth checking the logs on the vpn server to see if it's disconnecting..?  maybe get some clues there?