cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pod speed

bakhshi84
On our wavelength

Hi

I have my Hub 5 in the living room downstairs and the pod in my office upstairs. If the pod is off I get about 350Mbps in the office when connected to the hub. When I put the pod on that changes to 100Mbps in the office, exact same place. I thought the point of the pods was to replicate the wi-fi signal, i.e. it should be getting approx 350Mbps from the hub so why isn't this happening?

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Legend

The Pod is a wireless repeater it should be located half way between the Hub and the rooms needing better coverage.

However if with the Pod off, 350 Mb/s is the WiFi speed in the office, the Pod does not appear to be needed.

Thanks for the reply. The pod is needed for my other rooms upstairs and the office is half way between them. The problem still is the very slow speed coming off the pod.

Oh I have also noticed no Wi-Fi 6 when my phone is connected to the pod.

Okay something odd is happening:

The maximum speed my first pod was giving off was 100mbps, wherever I put it, even in a room where the Wi-Fi signal from the hub (5) is 400mbps. I thought this was a faulty pod but the second pod is doing exactly the same thing.

Any ideas?

Hello bakshi84

Thanks for posting in regards to your wireless network, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

We can see you have spoken to the team since posting, were they able to help in regards to the Pod's? We do have some help here or let us know and we can assist further.

Rob

This really hasn't been solved Robert

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bakhshi84 wrote:

Okay something odd is happening:

The maximum speed my first pod was giving off was 100mbps, wherever I put it, even in a room where the Wi-Fi signal from the hub (5) is 400mbps. I thought this was a faulty pod but the second pod is doing exactly the same thing.

Any ideas?

Could be the Pod and your device are only connecting via the 2.4Ghz wifi band?  This might explain the low speeds.  On the Hub 5 however, your device is using the 5Ghz band?  Hard to know as I don't think there is any management console available on the Pods.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

bakhshi84
On our wavelength

On advice of VM I rest the Hub 5 so it should be using intelligent Wi-Fi and I think switching is automatic, right?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Switching between bands is up to the target machine not the pod. Can you not Ethernet cable connect the machine to the pod?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2