Menu
liamneson62
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Please help me select a router

In have the Virgin Hub 3 and have been having some serious issues with the wifi. The ethernet connected devices have a flawless connection. So it's not an internet issue.

I read online and also on this subreddit that the Hub 3 is really underpowered and infamous for bad wifi. So the natural answer is to switch the hub to modem mode and connect a great router to it.

I've looked at lots of different routers listed on Amazon but I'm having a lot of trouble selecting a router. What I'm after is a router that can handle 12+ wireless devices (smart devices, laptops, phones, etc) at once and cover multiple floors.

The two most important factors are:

• Wifi range

• Number of simultaneous devices

Please can you share the routers that you think will suit this best?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please help me select a router

Some comments I have posted before. Tell us your budget and property details and ease of running ethernet cables around it

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

Recently, just as an example... two of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Despite Wi-Fi 6 / AX routers being available, AC is still perfectly capable and two popular models are the Asus AC86U and the Netgear R7800, the latter has a good rep for its Wi-Fi performance.

I've been using Asus routers for around 10 years now, the last few years has been the AC86U and it's been solid with around 20 devices constantly streaming, gaming online, working from home, browsing, etc. I've been tempted a few times to get the R7800 to see if it lives up to the hype, but missed out on auctions, so I don't have hands-on experience with it.

0 Kudos