cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help having ip issues 🙈

BFleck
Joining in

Hi all

Hope someone can help everything was working fine but now I can’t acces certain websites like the bank, eBay tescos etc etc, most work others work but some don’t. I checked my IP addy and it has a bad score ??? Not sure what that’s about.

I have tried the superhub 3 in modem mode and it connects ok to all sites, so I presume it’s the IP addy Causing the problem but I have other devices that need wifi ? 

can I buy another router or something to give wifi to the others while still connecting the superhub in modem mode so my main pc is ok ?

I have contacted VM to ask them to change my IP addy ? But no luck yet.

Any help would be appreciated thx in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes its easy and we can help you go that route if you want (I have). But hang fire - there are other people having similar issues to you today - see the thread below - so it may be a different issue.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Some-websites-not-responding-IP-address-res...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If everything was OK and your IP address hasn’t changed then you caused the situation.

You have identified the solution for yourself - Modem Mode and your own router.

Would it be fair for Virgin Media to give you a new IP address and pass your polluted one onto somebody else?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thx for the reply.

If I have caused this myself I have no clue how ? I’m not a web hacker or anything or visit dodgy sites ? 
Im asking for help……

So if I can add a router to the superhub what type of router do I need and is it easy to set up with the superhub 

thx

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes its easy and we can help you go that route if you want (I have). But hang fire - there are other people having similar issues to you today - see the thread below - so it may be a different issue.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Some-websites-not-responding-IP-address-res...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi

Thx for the reply but mine seems a different issue it started 2 days ago just randomly.

When I try to access online banking and the other blocked sites it says Access dinied on this server with a long error messege.

would appreciate help in know what router to get and how to set it up so I can then use wifi again in modem modem from my main pc. Does my main pc still connect to the superhub aswell ?

thx

I have a new in the box ZyXEL VMG3925-B10C VDSL2 Gateway AC WiFi Modem Router lying around not sure if I could use that ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could always just try it but I think that may not work on a Cable modem (just DSL) so check that - also I think it is quite old and poorly specced so TBH you would be better starting afresh.

There are lots of options and we can go through them in detail - but an excellent low priced starter option that would certainly solve any ip issues and also give you better routing option and wifi is..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

If you go for it or any other system then you just need to set it up in a correct "sequence" we can provide that

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thankyou so much for your help

Ive just ordered the one you linked it will arrive tommorow so any help setting it up would be wonderful.

Your a lifesaver and thanks again for the info 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - follow this "sequence"

Set up your new router (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

... and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Next switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable (note... minimum is Cat5e - Cat6a is better - no need to go above that) from its WAN port to the VM hub (any Hub port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Ok great thx for that.

So do all wired Ethernet direct connections then run from the new router straight to the pc / devices ?

thx