Menu
BFleck
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Please help having ip issues ๐Ÿ™ˆ

Hi all

Hope someone can help everything was working fine but now I canโ€™t acces certain websites like the bank, eBay tescos etc etc, most work others work but some donโ€™t. I checked my IP addy and it has a bad score ??? Not sure what thatโ€™s about.

I have tried the superhub 3 in modem mode and it connects ok to all sites, so I presume itโ€™s the IP addy Causing the problem but I have other devices that need wifi ? 

can I buy another router or something to give wifi to the others while still connecting the superhub in modem mode so my main pc is ok ?

I have contacted VM to ask them to change my IP addy ? But no luck yet.

Any help would be appreciated thx in advance.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Please help having ip issues ๐Ÿ™ˆ

If everything was OK and your IP address hasnโ€™t changed then you caused the situation.

You have identified the solution for yourself - Modem Mode and your own router.

Would it be fair for Virgin Media to give you a new IP address and pass your polluted one onto somebody else?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BFleck
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thx for the reply.

If I have caused this myself I have no clue how ? Iโ€™m not a web hacker or anything or visit dodgy sites ? 
Im asking for helpโ€ฆโ€ฆ

So if I can add a router to the superhub what type of router do I need and is it easy to set up with the superhub 

thx

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes its easy and we can help you go that route if you want (I have). But hang fire - there are other people having similar issues to you today - see the thread below - so it may be a different issue.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Some-websites-not-responding-IP-address-res...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
BFleck
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thx for the reply but mine seems a different issue it started 2 days ago just randomly.

When I try to access online banking and the other blocked sites it says Access dinied on this server with a long error messege.

would appreciate help in know what router to get and how to set it up so I can then use wifi again in modem modem from my main pc. Does my main pc still connect to the superhub aswell ?

thx

0 Kudos
BFleck
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have a new in the box ZyXEL VMG3925-B10C VDSL2 Gateway AC WiFi Modem Router lying around not sure if I could use that ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You could always just try it but I think that may not work on a Cable modem (just DSL) so check that - also I think it is quite old and poorly specced so TBH you would be better starting afresh.

There are lots of options and we can go through them in detail - but an excellent low priced starter option that would certainly solve any ip issues and also give you better routing option and wifi is..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

If you go for it or any other system then you just need to set it up in a correct "sequence" we can provide that

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
BFleck
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou so much for your help

Ive just ordered the one you linked it will arrive tommorow so any help setting it up would be wonderful.

Your a lifesaver and thanks again for the info 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

OK - follow this "sequence"

Set up your new router (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

... and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once itโ€™s in modem mode, the VM hub โ€œMUSTโ€ then be powered off.

Next switch your router on and make sure itโ€™s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable (note... minimum is Cat5e - Cat6a is better - no need to go above that) from its WAN port to the VM hub (any Hub port will do).

NOWโ€ฆ power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
BFleck
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ok great thx for that.

So do all wired Ethernet direct connections then run from the new router straight to the pc / devices ?

thx

0 Kudos