cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please STOP re-enabling WiFi

jcswright
On our wavelength

Dear Virgin Media

PLEASE stop randomly re-enabling WiFi on your Hub 3.0/Super Hub 3!!!

I don't know how best to contact you so I hope someone sees this message.

I install whole-house WiFi systems, and of course I turn off WiFi on the router.  Then I get complaints that WiFi isn't working well enough, and I find that half their devices are still on the old network because you've turned the WiFi back on!  I realise you're trying to be helpful, but you manage to make other settings work so you must be capable of this.

On two occasions people have decided to ditch VM because their street has got fibre and they think their VM service isn't working well enough - I know that's only 2 out of your millions of subscribers, but surely it's a little bit of evidence that you're doing more harm than good?

I reboot the router after making the change, in case the settings needs a reboot to 'stick', but it doesn't make a difference - a week or a month later you've turned WiFi back on.  Just to field other questions before they come up, these are not tech-savvy customers (hence me doing this for them) and I'm fine with the VM router handling DHCP etc., they are not customers who need it replacing, they just want better WiFi.

I've noticed other people making the same complaint, and it seems like something that should work.  Whoever from VM is reading this, could you send it on to your software test/development people?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I install whole-house WiFi systems," what system is it? Does it have a router function? It’s always best to run the VM hubs in modem mode if possible. If you can, instructions follow:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta, on a Hub4 the LED band will be green. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note1: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Note2: If you have a Hub4 and your own router is NOT 192.168.0.1 then it’s possible that you can still access the VM hub on 192.168.0.1

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Everyone is opt-in for public WiFi so yes the hub wants to enable WiFi.
---------------------------------------------------------------

jcswright
On our wavelength

Thank you Tudor

No, no router function, and modem mode is not appropriate in this scenario - this is simply about improving the WiFi signal, whilst leaving all other 'features' intact.  Putting the hub in modem mode takes ongoing troubleshooting/maintenance of the system outside the technical capability of people I'm helping, and my aim is to NOT lock them into needing my help.

However, to answer your question: TP-Link Omada recently.  The OC200 does a much better job of handing off devices between APs than any of the crappy mesh systems, and means I can provide remote assistance/updates if necessary.

jcswright
On our wavelength

Thank you legacy1.

That seems entirely wrong, and totally unexpected behaviour.

Perhaps I could make a case for it re-enabling the SSID for public WiFi on the basis of what you've said, but to re-enable SSIDs that the user has specifically turned off is just stupid.

Do you think that opting out of public WiFi will stop VM from randomly messing with the WiFi settings?

Opting out is buggy we never had this problem before public WiFi was a thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jcswright
On our wavelength

That's grim.

I'm wondering how easy it is to just disable the internal WiFi antenna 😆

A sign in to "My Virgin Media" is required. Then click on  "Update settings" .. then WiFi hotspots. 

If you are very lucky, you should be able to disable the hotspot feature.

BUT..!  as usual, this feature may show... ..... 

Oops, looks like something's gone wrong on our side.
Please try again.

But keep trying, you never know your luck.