cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlayStationNetwork connection problems

BrantonMcGill
Tuning in

Morning

Had Virgin broadband installed last week, everything seems to work fine except my sons PS5 which has major connection issues. Sadly I only found all these posts relating to the problem after installation. It’s making it unusable for him, keeps dropping out, won’t connect etc.

Have done all the usual reset router, changed DNS etc to no avail. 

I note this was a big thing at the end of last year was there ever a fix?  I am using a Hub 3 ?? 

I upgraded to Virgin for faster speeds mainly for him (autistic) to enjoy his gaming more and now non stop issues.

Feel pretty deflated to be honest, anybody find the fix last year and help me out?

thank you 

8 REPLIES 8

BrantonMcGill
Tuning in

Should it be relevant I’m in Brighton 

Which were 'all these posts' ?  Can you share some of them here.

Is this a wifi issue?  How good is the wifi in the room?

Unless someone knows a specific fix, you might want to look at getting your own router or mesh system and using the Virgin hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi, thanks for responding.

I’m new to all this but have found multiple threads re this matter from October - December last year. Wi-Fi signal very strong and no issues with any other device.

This appears to be a known problem with PSN back then.

regards

Hi BrantonMcGill,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you have been facing issues with PSN, I have familiar with some issues however from what you and others have advised all other devices and connections have no isses which points to a PSN issue, have you tried the PlayStation help forums?

Regards

Paul.

Junk about DNS changes and the issues claimed by others ( often posted by school kids ) are frequently noise not reliable information.

WiFi issues need to be resolved in the home in question.  

I wonder if the previous ISP service had these issues and if it did not, perhaps the ISP's Router was supported by WiFi extenders or was the previous ISP's Router located much closer to the Playstation or even connected via a network cable.

Firstly thank you all for taking time to reply.

So yesterday I put the PS5 next to the router with the intention of trying the Ethernet connection and typically it worked beautifully on the Wi-Fi! This therefore changed my thought plan altogether and realised that even though new Hub3 is in the same place as old router it clearly didn’t have the power to connect properly on the PS5 upstairs (it would find the network ok but couldn’t log into PSN??) Anyway had the brainwave to move Hub3 as much as the cable would allow nearer (1 ft max) to PS5 and hey presto no more problems

I will add other devices upstairs now struggle to connect properly despite the 400mbps Wi-Fi check when PS5 is being used, a friend mentioned I may need to split the Wi-Fi between 5 and 2.4 ghz ??? This is another challenge and not one I’m ready to take on yet.

im completely green in anything like this it’s all foreign so it really doesn’t make sense.
Any thoughts on last point appreciated and thanks again for your help everyone 

Regards 

Brant

Our Hub 3 does not have split SSIDs for 2.4 & 5Ghz.

So why split the SSIDs ? 

The only logical answer is that you require to be able to decide which band devices are permitted to use.

For example there might be a device that persists in connecting at 5Ghz then failing to work well as it is too far from the Hub, but if it used the 2.4Ghz  band which has better range indoors at the cost of lower speed, the connection would be stable and more satisfactory.

Connect to the Hub3  at http://192.18.0.1 login with the Hub password from the label on the bottom and navigate to :

Advanced settings >>> Wireless >>> Security

Here we will see the SSID / password  settings for the WiFi bands.

It's great to hear things are looking a little bit better now @BrantonMcGill 

Are you able to monitor this and let us know how things are looking going forward. 

Thanks again