Menu
lthlth
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Planned Maintenance

Whilst I totally appreciate the necessity for maintenance and upgrading and from midnight through until 8.a.m. is probably the best time to do it, wouldn't it be an idea for VM to maybe inform its customers via their monthly bill... maybe in a red edged box ... of planned outages. 

I was watching something late last night, when all went down. After rebooting the hub, still the same problem, so I phoned faults. A recorded message told me that this was due to planned network upgrading etc., and that all should be fine by 8.05 a.m... which I hasten to add that it was.

However, if I had been informed of this planned work, I would have downloaded the programme I was watching etc., and saved the usual rise in blood pressure when you realise things aren't working. (I'm a full time carer...so I tend to catch up/relax/unwind after midnight) Of course, without the internet, it's not easy to check the service status. 

So, this isn't a grumble as such... merely a suggestion that when designated post code areas are going to be affected by planned works, that  being informed in advance would be appreciated. 

drguiom
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Planned Maintenance

This happens to me very regularly at the moment and mostly around 10pm ! The status page automated tests always return "no issue".

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It’s not always planned maintenance, often it’s fault diagnosis, not easy and very costly to advise users. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
drguiom
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I get that but rebooting a remote modem 5 times is odd. The modem status clearly showed "update".

Like I said its a regular occurrence at the moment and short of logging a "fault" (there isnt one per se) , how can I be sure its triggered by Virgin rather than the modem doing something odd.
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

the virgin app that you can install on your phone will tell you if there are any works happening at the time.
you click on the "status" button, and it'll report back if anything is currently happening that could cause you service disruption.
0 Kudos
drguiom
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

thats kind of my point it doesn't say anything when its happening.
0 Kudos
drguiom
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

19/08/2019 21:30:59criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
19/08/2019 21:30:59criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
19/08/2019 21:31:0criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
19/08/2019 21:31:0criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
drguiom
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

this is what was logged at the same time.
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@drguiom wrote:
thats kind of my point it doesn't say anything when its happening.

but it tells when it's happened though, so if something goes down you know if it's due to any works going on.
it's not feasible to send out a comms every time works is going on.

the automated repsonses and the app are sufficient IMO.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That log could indicate noise ingress, not maintenance. Post your up/downstream stats and full network log. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos