cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent internet drop outs

Georgedmunds
Joining in

I have been suffering from internet cut outs for along time now (3-6months); up until this point it has been very stable. I use a computer which is connected via ethernet and both internet on wired and wireless connections drop out (wireless coming from my iPhone). I have read many threads about this but none of them seem to give me an answer. We have recently had our hub upgraded so dont see why it could be that. I have just started a BQM and will post the live link here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/079ab52973752c05f66d30be2404cf7735a678b5

Hopefully you can help.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
link is not to your bqm... can you do this

Can you Check for any “known network faults first - Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

If nothing shows....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return.
If you have a Hub4 or 5 then login on the first page up. If you have an SH2 or Hub3 - dont log in just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3) or top/right (SH’s) of the Login page.
Then Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

Re the BQM . Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey man,

Thanks for responding, any chance you can help with my BQM? It seems to constantly show 100% packet loss (block all red), i’ve tried fixing it but still no luck, got any idea how i can fix this?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
May just be dodgy firmware on the router/hub.

What Hub model is it and is it in router or modem mode - if the latter what router are you using?

But, first check that the i.p. address in the BQM settings is the same as that showing on a computer/laptop Google search for My IP. They do change occasionally or you may have mistyped it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @Georgedmunds 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you are facing issues with your connection, can I ask if this is occurring across wired of WiFi connections? 

Are you able to upload a live BQM for us per jbrennand's advise? 

Hey mate,

Not sure what hub model it is but it is in modem mode - IP seems all good aswell

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As the Hub is in modem mode... what make/model of router are you using?

Somewhere in its settings you need to find and tick the box that states something like...

"Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP"

(i.e. Pings!)

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi Georgedmunds

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.  I am sorry to hear of any internet drop outs. From checking this, please can you do the below and then post up your stats after a day? 

Please can you try a 60 second pin hole reset on the router. This will revert any customisations back to factory settings and full update the router with firmware/software updates. Please do not reboot the router whilst it is completing the pin hole request

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill